Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

StatCan looks to improve the way it tracks wireless plan pricing with new data

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 17 Sep, 2024 10:05 AM
  • StatCan looks to improve the way it tracks wireless plan pricing with new data

Statistics Canada has changed the way it tracks the price of wireless plans in an effort to capture a more accurate picture of what Canadians are paying when it calculates the inflation rate.

The agency has been using web-collected data on the advertised cost of plans based on a set of profiles designed to reflect how households use their devices.

However, Statistics Canada has now started using actual sales data from participating wireless companies to help build a picture of the changing cost of wireless plans.

Matt Hatfield, executive director of OpenMedia, an advocacy organization that promotes internet affordability and accessibility, says the inclusion of the actual sales data is important because many people may be stuck in a contract or simply not realize they could get a better price by changing their plan. 

“What StatCan is trying to do is to reflect not just what prices are available in a new plan advertised today, but also what consumers are paying in the prices they're actually using, which I think is a positive move," Hatfield said. 

“It will help show what the actual situation is vis-a-vis telecoms and Canadians.” 

Wireless pricing has become a political issue in recent years.

Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne said last year that Canadians "pay way too much for telecom services" when he gave final approval for Rogers Communications Inc.’s takeover of Shaw Communications Inc.

The transaction saw a side-deal in which Shaw's Freedom Mobile business was sold to Quebecor Inc.'s Videotron, which many are hoping will be a strong competitor to the larger wireless companies.

The industry has pointed to falling prices for wireless plans in recent years, but critics have argued that despite many of those new plans allowing customers to pay less per gigabyte of data, some require customers to purchase large amounts they may not necessarily need.

"If the (price) data ends up being well supported and widely trusted, I think it might improve the quality of the political discussion around it because people have just been talking past each other," Hatfield said. 

The price for cellular services in August was down 12.8 per cent compared with a year earlier, based on Statistics Canada's report Tuesday.

However, the agency has said caution should be used when interpreting the year-over-year move for the first 12 months following the change.

"In the first round, the data is going to be very incomparable to past years of data," Hatfield said.

The cellular services price index is part of the household operations, furnishings and equipment index. It represents 1.22 per cent of the CPI basket based on 2023 expenditures.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says
British Columbia's solicitor general says the government has filed the first-ever application to secure an unexplained wealth order in Canada. Mike Farnworth says the notice of civil claim filed in B.C. Supreme Court is the start of a series of similar applications, which are powerful tools that "put those engaging in illegal activity on notice."

B.C. files application for Canada's first unexplained wealth order, minister says

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge
Hours after the US charged an Indian national with conspiracy to assassinate a New York-based Sikh separatist, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said that New Delhi needs to take the charge "seriously" and cooperate in the investigations. Trudeau, who had been claiming since September that Indian agents were involved in the killing of its citizen Hardeep Singh Nijjar, told CBC News that they have been working closely with their American counterparts on the "serious" allegations.

India needs to take this seriously: Trudeau on US charge

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust
The Peel Regional Police said on Wednesday that nine stolen vehicles, valued at over $1.2 million, were seized and more than 81 charges were laid in the investigation, called Project Memphis. Rahul Bedi from Mississauga was charged for committing fraud worth $5,000 and trafficking stolen goods, and along with other accused, he attempted to defraud multiple financial and insurance institutions.

Indian-origin man among 12 arrested in Canada auto theft ring bust

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.
The British Columbia law that allows certain agencies to take over the affairs of abused, neglected or incapacitated adults is under scrutiny by the province's human rights commissioner and B.C.'s seven health agencies have been ordered to assist. Commissioner Kasari Govender wants the agencies to provide data on detentions of vulnerable adults who have been in their care.

B.C. Human Rights Commissioner examines care and rights of vulnerable adults in B.C.

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa
Ottawa has agreed to set a $100-million yearly cap on payments that Google will be required to make to media companies when the government's controversial online news legislation takes effect at the end of the year. The announcement Wednesday has the Liberals bending to the tech giant's demands after Google threatened back in February to remove news from its platform.

Google to pay $100M a year to Canadian news publishers in deal with Ottawa

Squamish hit and run leaves one dead

Squamish hit and run leaves one dead
The crash happened September 2nd, 2022, when the driver of a pickup truck lost control navigating a corner and the vehicle flipped over a sidewalk and landed on a bus stop, pinning two women who were sitting there. Police say 44-year-old Gurpreet Sangha died in hospital, while the second woman survived with "life-altering injuries."

Squamish hit and run leaves one dead