Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 05:22 PM
  • State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

A provincial state memorial service for former British Columbia premier John Horgan will be held later this month in Colwood, west of Victoria.

Horgan, who died in November after his third bout with cancer, will be remembered on Dec. 15 at the Q Centre arena, which has a capacity of about 4,000 people.

A statement from Premier David Eby's office says the event will be open to the public and more details about how to attend will be released soon. 

The statement says the service will include religious components by Rev. Keith Howard, as well as musical interludes and words of remembrance.

Horgan served as B.C.'s New Democrat premier for five years before stepping down in 2022, and was appointed as Canada's ambassador to Germany last year.

In June, Horgan announced he was on leave from his diplomatic post after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton
RCMP are investigating a fatal stabbing at a corn maze west of Edmonton. They say they received the call about a stabbing at the Edmonton Corn Maze around 7 p.m. Tuesday.

RCMP investigate fatal stabbing at corn maze outside Edmonton

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general
Michael Pickup says in a statement the investigation looked into accounting firm MNP's handling of Advanced Research and Commercialization grant applications, reviewing "a significant amount of information" from the company, the government and all applicants.

No conflict in handling of B.C. zero-emission grants, says auditor general

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment
The British Columbia government is expanding access to drug-addiction treatment by launching a confidential and free phone line offering same-day connections to doctors and health-care professionals. The Opioid Treatment Access Line can connect people in need with a team of doctors and nurses who are available seven-days-a-week to prescribe life-saving opioid agonist medications. 

B.C. government launches phone line to provide same-day access to opioid treatment

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control
The number of out-of-control wildfires continues to drop in British Columbia on the heels of a cold front bringing rain and fall-like temperatures to many areas. About 280 blazes remain active across the province with 15 per cent or just over 40 of those fires classified as burning out of control.

Wildfires continue to drop in B.C., just over 40 blazes burning out of control

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP
A 29-year-old man has been arrested after what police say was a violent carjacking outside the Prince George Airport. Prince George RCMP say the elderly driver suffered serious injuries when the vehicle crashed and he was thrown from the scene.

Man arrested after violent carjacking at B.C. airport: RCMP

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters
Cellphone use will be restricted in all British Columbia school districts when pupils return next week, as the province becomes the latest to curtail the use of the devices in classrooms. Premier David Eby says all school districts now have policies in place to ban cellphone use "bell to bell," in line with a government directive announced in April.

B.C. brings in 'bell to bell' school phone ban, as new access rules target protesters