Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 03 Dec, 2024 05:22 PM
  • State memorial planned for former B.C. premier John Horgan

A provincial state memorial service for former British Columbia premier John Horgan will be held later this month in Colwood, west of Victoria.

Horgan, who died in November after his third bout with cancer, will be remembered on Dec. 15 at the Q Centre arena, which has a capacity of about 4,000 people.

A statement from Premier David Eby's office says the event will be open to the public and more details about how to attend will be released soon. 

The statement says the service will include religious components by Rev. Keith Howard, as well as musical interludes and words of remembrance.

Horgan served as B.C.'s New Democrat premier for five years before stepping down in 2022, and was appointed as Canada's ambassador to Germany last year.

In June, Horgan announced he was on leave from his diplomatic post after being diagnosed with thyroid cancer.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north
It was 15 years ago that Ontario student Justin Wood started feeling sick. When it came, the diagnosis was a rare one: Lyme disease. At the time, the tick-borne illness was only responsible for a few hundred infections a year in Canada, according to government statistics. But cases of Lyme disease have now increased more than 1,000 per cent in a decade as the warming climate pushes the boundaries of a range of pathogens and risk factors northward.

As Canada warms, infectious disease risks spread north

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends
Residents in Fort Nelson are returning home after being evacuated from the community for more than two weeks due to wildfires. The Northern Rockies Regional Municipality and the Fort Nelson First Nation jointly rescinded their evacuation orders at 8 a.m. Monday, lifting roadblocks and clearing the way for people to go home.

Fort Nelson, B.C., evacuees heading home after wildfire evacuation order ends

Surrey business robbed

Surrey business robbed
Mounties in Surrey are hoping to speak with anyone with dashcam footage of the 9200 block of 120 Street on Friday evening after a business was robbed at gunpoint. Police say two men wearing masks entered the unnamed business with what appeared to be firearms, spoke with one of the employees, and stole a cellphone as they walked out.

Surrey business robbed

2 people dead in plane crash

2 people dead in plane crash
The RCMP says two people have died after a plane crash near Squamish on Friday. Police say they were able to access the remote area located south of Squamish on the west side of Howe Sound via air. 

2 people dead in plane crash

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP
Police say a man has been charged with attempted murder and other offences after he allegedly used a knife to slash cars, then attacked a motorcyclist riding in North Vancouver, B.C., over the weekend. RCMP say they received several reports Saturday afternoon about a man with a knife near an intersection south of the Deep Cove neighbourhood.

B.C. man charged with attempted murder after alleged knife attack: RCMP

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash
The truck driver who caused the horrific bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team was ordered Friday to be deported to India. An Immigration and Refugee Board hearing for Jaskirat Singh Sidhu announced its decision in a 15-minute virtual hearing.

Board orders deportation for trucker who caused horrific Humboldt Broncos crash