Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Stay-at-home order needed to control third wave, Ontario science advisers say

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Apr, 2021 05:10 PM
  • Stay-at-home order needed to control third wave, Ontario science advisers say

The projections were released just hours before Premier Doug Ford was expected to announce a four-week provincewide "shutdown."

It wasn't immediately clear if the shutdown would include a stay-at home order. But last week, the government gave the province's top doctor the power to use the "emergency brake" to shut down regions and enforce restrictions that would see most retail stores shut down and essential services remain open with capacity limits.

The science advisory table also suggested Thursday that limiting inter-provincial movement - similar to the one that was imposed in January and expired starting in mid-February - would help brings the number of new cases down.

Dr. Adalsteinn Brown, co-chair of the group, said short-term case projections will depend entirely on the public health measures implemented by the government and vaccination rates.

"I think if you're unable to get that level of impact, you're not going to see the same reduction in cases, you're not going to see the same control over ICU admissions," Brown said.

Ontario's chief medical officer of health, Dr. David Williams, said the key to controlling spread of the virus will be to limit mobility, especially between regions.

"People moving around from areas of high levels of community transmission, to lower levels .... they also spread variants of concern," he said. "Our big concern with our recommendations (is) ... how do you decrease and limit that kind of mobility so that people will stay home, stay locally?"

Brown said the province's vaccine rollout is not reaching the highest risk communities, hampering its impact as an effective strategy to fight the pandemic.

He also said that 40 per cent of Ontario residents aged 75-79 and 72 per cent of those aged 70-74 still have not received their first dose of the vaccine.

"We are expanding first dose coverage, but it remains incomplete," Brown said.

The spread of variants threatens the province's health system's ability to deal with regular intensive care admissions and care for all patients, he said.

The group said that COVID-19 hospitalizations are up by over 40 per cent over the past two weeks.

Brown said variants of concern are now the dominate strain of the virus in the province.

"Younger Ontarians are ending up in hospital and risk of ICU admission is two times higher and the risk of death is one and a half times higher for patients," he said.

When asked about the upcoming announcement of the new restrictions, Ford said Thursday morning that it was a "tought decision."

“We’ll make the tough decision but it’s the right decision. One thousand per cent, it’s the right decision."

Education Minister Stephen Lecce said Thursday that schools will remain open, as they are critical to student's mental health and learning.

Meanwhile, more than 150 intensive care unit doctors signed an open letter to the government on Thursday, calling for new, stricter, measures.

"The current measures and framework are not working to contain the spread of this virus," reads the letter in part. "Even if we had unlimited ICU capacity, allowing these (variants of concern) to spread exponentially is unethical."

The letter says doctors are seeing younger patients on ventilators and many are parents of school-aged children. It notes people being admitted to intensive care have contracted COVID-19 at work or have followed all the rules and only gone out for groceries.

The Ford government has faced criticism over its failure to offer supports for essential workers, especially in the COVID-19 hot spots, including paid sick days.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Fugitive Arrested In Connection To International Multi-kilo Cocaine Investigation at YVR

Fugitive Arrested In Connection To International Multi-kilo Cocaine Investigation at YVR
Wong was charged in July 2012 after the Public Prosecution Service of Canada (PPSC) approved charges for conspiracy to traffic cocaine, conspiracy to import cocaine and possession of a loaded prohibited firearm.

Fugitive Arrested In Connection To International Multi-kilo Cocaine Investigation at YVR

Burnaby RCMP arrest woman for the assault of a senior

Burnaby RCMP arrest woman for the assault of a senior
The elderly woman did sustain injury. Police believe the attack to have been unprovoked and both the suspect and the victim were unknown to one another.

Burnaby RCMP arrest woman for the assault of a senior

Economists forecast rebound for B.C. in 2021

Economists forecast rebound for B.C. in 2021
Robinson heard today from economists on the province's Economic Forecast Council who estimate B.C. is on track for real GDP growth of 4.7 per cent this year and 4.3 per cent next year, before growth slows.

Economists forecast rebound for B.C. in 2021

Hospice society gets final notice to vacate space

Hospice society gets final notice to vacate space
Fraser Health says it has ended its $1.5-million annual service agreement with the Delta Hospice Society, which was originally notified a year ago to vacate the premises.

Hospice society gets final notice to vacate space

Blair says Beijing visa applications secure

Blair says Beijing visa applications secure
Blair says he can only make assumptions because the arrangement was put in place in 2008, under the previous Conservative government.

Blair says Beijing visa applications secure

West Vancouver man fined, jailed for tax evasion

West Vancouver man fined, jailed for tax evasion
Court records show Michael Sholz was sentenced Wednesday in provincial court in Vancouver.

West Vancouver man fined, jailed for tax evasion