Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Storm causes Highway 7 slide, evacuation orders

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 Dec, 2021 10:54 AM
  • Storm causes Highway 7 slide, evacuation orders

VANCOUVER - A landslide closed traffic today on the same highway near Agassiz, B.C., where motorists were trapped between slides caused by major rainstorms last month.

DriveBC says the road has been reopened to single-lane alternating traffic on Highway 7 near Maria Sough Bridge and crews were assessing the damage.

The incident occurred as southern and coastal British Columbia entered the tail end of severe weather that meteorologists have described as a "parade" of storms.

More than two dozen weather warnings remain in effect across southern and coastal British Columbia, complicating clean-up efforts from previous flooding and mudslides.

Evacuation orders have been issued by the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District for properties near the community of Birken due to a landslide hazard at Neff Creek.

Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the province is doing everything it can to make sure people and communities have the resources and support they need.

He says Emergency Management B.C. along with troops, local government staff and community volunteers were making sure shelter, food, medication, emergency kits, fuel and other resources were available.

Environment Canada says the central coast and the west coast of Vancouver Island could see up to 150 millimetres of rain, with up to 120 mm in the Bella Coola area, while the flood-soaked Fraser Valley east of Abbotsford could get up to 100 mm. Strong winds gusting to 90 km/h were also forecast.

A travel advisory has been issued and maintenance crews have been dispatched to stretches of Highway 20 between Bella Coola and Williams Lake in response to heavy rainfall in the forecast for the central coast. Travel advisories are also in place for sections of Highways 1, 3 and 7.

The British Columbia River Forecast Centre has issued flood watches for the central and south coasts, Lower Fraser and all of Vancouver Island.

Environment Canada says the rain should ease on Thursday and Friday, but a smaller storm system is expected to affect the south coast late on Friday.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says
In a report published this morning, budget officer Yves Giroux says Ottawa topped up expenditures on its national housing strategy by nearly one quarter for an average of $3.7 billion annually over the past three years.

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan have not commented since the Canadian Forces National Investigation Service announced late Friday that they had decided there was not enough evidence to charge McDonald.

Liberals urged not to reinstate military commander