Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 15 Jul, 2024 03:18 PM
  • Storms and wind moving in for part of B.C., boosting fire potential: wildfire service

Thunderstorms will be rolling into eastern B.C. by mid-week and winds will pick up, which the BC Wildfire Service says has the potential to increase fire activity in the province.

The service says the hot and dry trend that has already led to increased fire activity will continue throughout the southern half of B.C.

Environment Canada has maintained heat warnings for parts of the southern Interior from the Fraser Canyon up to the south Cariboo as well as the Okanagan Valley, the area along the Canada-U.S. border and the Kootenay Lake area.

The weather office says daytime highs in the 30s are expected through the week.

The BC Wildfire Service says a 20-person crew from Nova Scotia came in over the weekend to help fight fires, while two firefighting aircraft from Ontario have landed and will be stationed in Williams Lake.

Despite all the radio, TV and social media posts spreading the news about the campfire ban on Friday, the Chilliwack Fire Department said in a statement that its crews attended several campfires over the weekend to put them out and issue fines.

Those who violate a burning ban face a ticket of $1,150 and may be required to pay an administrative penalty of up to $10,000.

The number of active wildfires continues to hover at about 150, including a one-hectare blaze the service says is "highly visible" from the Trans-Canada Highway between Chilliwack and Hope.

B.C.'s driver information service DriveBC says one eastbound lane is closed for a five-kilometre stretch between Chilliwack and Hope.

The wildfire service says the blaze is about one hectare in size and two initial attack crews and a helicopter from the provincial service are assisting the local fire department.

MORE National ARTICLES

Body found in Oak Bay identified

Body found in Oak Bay identified
Police in Saanich say they have identified a man found dead under suspicious circumstances in Oak Bay as Steven Middleton. They say the 33-year-old's body was found on Wednesday in the 200-block of Beach Drive and the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit has taken over the investigation.

Body found in Oak Bay identified

Robbery at a New Westminster pharmacy

Robbery at a New Westminster pharmacy
At around 2:30pm on Thursday, New Westminster Police were called to a pharmacy on 12th Street after an employee described two suspects armed with a firearm robbed the business of money and prescription medicine.  

Robbery at a New Westminster pharmacy

IHIT identifies Richmond shooting victim as Ravinder Samra

IHIT identifies Richmond shooting victim as Ravinder Samra
They say officers found Samra with gunshot wounds and he was later pronounced dead at the scene. Police say they believe a vehicle that was found on fire nearby about 10 minutes later is associated with the shooting.  

IHIT identifies Richmond shooting victim as Ravinder Samra

Free transit from Aug 6-Aug 31 in the Fraser Valley

Free transit from Aug 6-Aug 31 in the Fraser Valley
Transit will also be free (excluding tickets and pass products) for riders on conventional transit from the resumption of service on August 6 through to August 31, 2023. BC Transit and the local government partners want to thank everyone for their patience during the service disruption

Free transit from Aug 6-Aug 31 in the Fraser Valley

B.C. real estate agent fined $20,000 after being caught swigging milk at home showing

B.C. real estate agent fined $20,000 after being caught swigging milk at home showing
A consent order released by the BC Financial Services Authority last week says Mike Rose was alone in the home in Kamloops, B.C., in July last year as he waited for his clients, who were interested in buying the property. 

B.C. real estate agent fined $20,000 after being caught swigging milk at home showing

Hundreds allowed to return home near Kamloops as evacuation order eases

Hundreds allowed to return home near Kamloops as evacuation order eases
An evacuation order covering hundreds of properties south of Kamloops, B.C., has been scaled back to an alert as crews make good progress containing a wildfire about 10 kilometres south of the city.  The Thompson-Nicola Regional District is allowing residents of 327 properties to return home, although they must be ready to leave again on short notice.

Hundreds allowed to return home near Kamloops as evacuation order eases