Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Mar, 2023 01:18 PM
  • Strike halts bus service in B.C.'s Fraser Valley

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - Bus service across most of B.C.'s Fraser Valley, from Abbotsford to Hope, has been halted by a strike.

More than 200 members of CUPE Local 561 walked off the job, affecting all bus service in Abbotsford, Mission, Agassiz-Harrison, Chilliwack and Hope, although essential HandiDart trips can still be booked.

The union says its members, who work for a company that contracts service to BC Transit, have no pension and make 32 per cent less than bus drivers and other staff elsewhere in Metro Vancouver's transit system.

Talks between the two sides collapsed last week and the union says BC Transit and its private operator, First Transit, have refused to consider union proposals on wages or pensions.

Picket lines went up Monday at locations around Abbotsford and Chilliwack, as well as the West Coast Express train station in Mission and at the Burnaby bus loop where the Fraser Valley Express bus from Chilliwack makes its final stop.

A statement from BC Transit says it is watching the situation carefully and will update customers when more information is available, but it says the dispute is between First Transit and the CUPE workers.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK
Canada is sending military trainers to the United Kingdom to help teach Ukrainians how to fight invading Russian forces. Defence Minister Anita Anand announced the plan on Thursday, saying up to 225 Canadian Armed Forces members will eventually be based in Britain for an initial period of four months.

Canadian military to train Ukrainian forces in UK

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs
Majority of these men have been identified of South Asian heritage and are in the age range of 20s-30s. The CFSEU-BC points out that these gangsters are transient so it is of vital importance that the anti-gang task force collaborate with other agencies.   

BC's anti-gang task force issues a public safety warning about 11 men with ties to gangs

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online
In three separate instances, the identity theft victim was contacted directly by potential renters regarding his Craiglist ads. One of these potential renters even sent copies of a fake driver’s licence and a fake passport which had been sent to the potential renter as part of the Craiglist scam.

Man scammed while searching for a rental property online

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case
Joseph Saulnier told the jury in Aydin Coban's B.C. Supreme Court trial Wednesday there was evidence that a video titled "AmandaTodd.wmv" was played on a device seized from his client's home, but it was not stored as a data file.

Lawyer denies child pornography claim in Todd case

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles
The price cap to determine eligibility for vehicle rebates in B.C. remains at a maximum of $55,000 for compact and full-sized cars, but the Energy Ministry statement says a second category is being added to support those requiring larger EVs, such as soon-to-arrive minivans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks.

B.C. boosts rebate for electric vehicles

B.C. premier says he may place ad for health cash

B.C. premier says he may place ad for health cash
Horgan says the advertisement worked for Janet and Michael Mort, who now have a family doctor after months of searching, leading him to possibly employ the same tactic after previous failed attempts to secure more federal health dollars.

B.C. premier says he may place ad for health cash