Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

String of overnight fires being investigated by Surrey RCMP, fires started deliberately

Darpan News Desk Surrey RCMP, 16 Aug, 2022 03:52 PM
  • String of overnight fires being investigated by Surrey RCMP, fires started deliberately

Surrey RCMP is investigating four fires that occurred in the Cloverdale area.

On Tuesday, in the early morning hours between 1:59 a.m. and 2:31 a.m. Surrey RCMP assisted the Surrey Fire Service following reports of several fires in the Cloverdale area within a short time span.  Frontline officers attended all four fires, which included:

-        A brush fire near 177B Street and 58A Avenue;

-        A brush fire in the 17300-block of 60 Avenue;

-        A brush fire near 176A Street and 59 Avenue; and

-        A brush fire that spread to an unoccupied travel trailer in the 17200-block of 61 Avenue.

Based on the initial information it appears that the fires were deliberately started. Due to the short time frame and close proximity of the fires police believe that they are likely related.

Via release, “We want to encourage everyone who resides in the area to be extra vigilant and report any suspicious activity to police,” says, Surrey RCMP Media Relations Officer, Corporal Vanessa Munn. “While thankfully no injuries were reported as a result of these fires, there was the potential for harm given the current weather conditions, and the proximity to residences and businesses in Cloverdale.” 

Anyone with information is asked to contact the Surrey RCMP. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules
The schools include University of Alberta and MacEwan University in Edmonton, the University of Lethbridge, Mount Royal University in Calgary and the University of Calgary.

Alberta schools scramble to meet new COVID rules

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole
David Shearing, who now goes by the name David Ennis, shot and killed George and Edith Bentley; their daughter, Jackie; and her husband Bob Johnson, while the family was on a camping trip in 1982 near Wells Gray Provincial Park, about 120 kilometres north of Kamloops, B.C.

Killed a family: Mass murderer denied parole

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training
The awareness course will educate new MPs on what counts as harassment — and how to take steps to prevent it. The course, paid for by the House of Commons, will address many forms of harassment, as well as violence prevention and the abuse of power by MPs.

New MPs must take sexual-harassment training

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation
The federal government said a long-term boil-water advisory for the community, which was issued in 1998 and was one of the longest in Canada, had been lifted.    

Long-term water advisory lifted for First Nation

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom
The 40-year-old woman is a kindergarten teacher and mother of an 18-month-old daughter. He says the homicide team is asking for patience as the investigation continues and that Onotera's family has also asked for privacy.

Homicide investigators join search for missing mom

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said that there are 5,791 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 288 individuals are currently hospitalized, 137 of whom are in ICU. 

661 COVID19 cases for Wednesday