Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Struggling Media Could Get Lift From Competition Bureau Digital Review: Group

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2019 06:47 PM

    VANCOUVER - Media association says Competition Bureau examination of digital giants like Facebook and Google could give struggling companies a lift.

     

    The president of News Media Canada says his association, which represents hundreds of news organizations, has been pushing the government for years to level the playing field between digital players and legacy media.

     

    John Hinds says the Competition Bureau's announcement yesterday to seek information from the public and businesses on what companies in the digital economy may be doing to harm competition is better late than never.

     

    Hinds says traditional media has been decimated by the rise of digital players in Canada, which have diverted advertising dollars, as well as benefited from current taxation and copyright laws, and the ability to gather massive amounts of consumer data.

     

    He says any information gleaned could lead to an investigation and regulatory or legislative change.

     

    Hinds points to an inquiry by the bureau's Australian counterpart that examined the impact of digital companies, predominantly Google and Facebook, on advertisers, media and consumers as a good example for how to tackle the problem.

     

    The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission released a more than 600-page report in June with 23 recommendations that included developing and implementing a platform-neutral regulatory framework for all companies that produce or deliver content in the country, and providing stable and adequate funding for public broadcasters.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness
    A trial for a Calgary man charged in the death of his grandson has heard a recording of what appears to be the accused praying for forgiveness.

    Manslaughter Trial Hears Recording Of Accused Praying For Forgiveness

    Stay Of Proceedings After Jaspal Atwal Accused Of Uttering Threats

    BC Prosecution Service says it won't pursue a charge of uttering threats against the man who sparked a political firestorm when he attended an event during Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's state visit to India last year.

    Stay Of Proceedings After Jaspal Atwal Accused Of Uttering Threats

    Shots Fired At A Massive Victory Rally For The Toronto Raptors

    Police say shots have been fired at a massive victory rally for the Toronto Raptors.

    Shots Fired At A Massive Victory Rally For The Toronto Raptors

    NDP Promise To Expand Universal Health Care, Starting With National Drug Plan

    The federal NDP says it will fast-track a universal drug plan to ensure a late 2020 start date if elected this fall as part of an expansion of Canada's health-care system.

    NDP Promise To Expand Universal Health Care, Starting With National Drug Plan

    Montreal's New Champlain Bridge To Open June 24, Six Months Behind Schedule

    Montreal's new Samuel De Champlain Bridge will open to traffic on June 24, roughly six months behind schedule.

    Montreal's New Champlain Bridge To Open June 24, Six Months Behind Schedule

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy
    OTTAWA — The federal government is releasing a national strategy on dementia today that focuses on preventing the affliction, supporting caregivers and finding cures.

    Health Minister To Release $50M Dementia Strategy