Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Struggling Media Could Get Lift From Competition Bureau Digital Review: Group

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Sep, 2019 06:47 PM

    VANCOUVER - Media association says Competition Bureau examination of digital giants like Facebook and Google could give struggling companies a lift.

     

    The president of News Media Canada says his association, which represents hundreds of news organizations, has been pushing the government for years to level the playing field between digital players and legacy media.

     

    John Hinds says the Competition Bureau's announcement yesterday to seek information from the public and businesses on what companies in the digital economy may be doing to harm competition is better late than never.

     

    Hinds says traditional media has been decimated by the rise of digital players in Canada, which have diverted advertising dollars, as well as benefited from current taxation and copyright laws, and the ability to gather massive amounts of consumer data.

     

    He says any information gleaned could lead to an investigation and regulatory or legislative change.

     

    Hinds points to an inquiry by the bureau's Australian counterpart that examined the impact of digital companies, predominantly Google and Facebook, on advertisers, media and consumers as a good example for how to tackle the problem.

     

    The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission released a more than 600-page report in June with 23 recommendations that included developing and implementing a platform-neutral regulatory framework for all companies that produce or deliver content in the country, and providing stable and adequate funding for public broadcasters.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Ottawa hit with another tornado, residents complain they got no warning

    Others say they got official warnings on their cellphones for areas outside the city, after the tornado had already passed.

    Ottawa hit with another tornado, residents complain they got no warning

    Canada OK with EU plan to help WTO deal with Trump disruption: Carr

    Jim Carr said the EU's plan to set up a proxy version of the WTO's Appellate Body has merit and deserves further examination. 

    Canada OK with EU plan to help WTO deal with Trump disruption: Carr

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel
    Work is expected to begin in 2020 and last until 2024.

    Ottawa, Quebec announce $500 million reconstruction of La Fontaine Tunnel

    Canada suspends operations at embassy in Venezuela

    Canada is among as many as 50 countries that have said Maduro stole last year's election and is no longer the legitimate leader of Venezuela.

    Canada suspends operations at embassy in Venezuela

    Northern Alberta residents start returning home after evacuation due to fires

    The last recorded size of the Chuckegg Creek fire near High Level was about 2,800 square kilometres.

    Northern Alberta residents start returning home after evacuation due to fires

    Canada announces new funding model to support women's equality globally

    Maryam Monsef said the Equality Fund brings together 11 organizations from the philanthropic, non-profit and financial sectors, including the Canada-based Match International Women’s Fund, the African Women’s Development Fund and Oxfam Canada.

    Canada announces new funding model to support women's equality globally