Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Students, recent immigrants hit hard by weakening job market, StatCan data suggests

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Aug, 2024 09:46 AM
  • Students, recent immigrants hit hard by weakening job market, StatCan data suggests

Students who have been hunting for a summer job and recent immigrants looking for work have felt the brunt of the country's weakening labour market, Statistics Canada's latest employment report shows.

The federal agency’s July labour force survey released on Friday says the overall jobless rate held steady at 6.4 per cent last month as the economy shed a modest 2,800 jobs.

The employment rate, which measures the share of the population aged 15 and older that is employed, fell slightly as fewer people looked for work. 

"For the second straight month, Canadian employment was essentially unchanged, disappointing expectations for a modest 25,000 gain," wrote TD senior economist Leslie Preston in a client note.

Amidst historically high interest rates, the unemployment rate has climbed 0.9 percentage points over the last year and job vacancies have plummeted.

The latest data suggests young people and recent immigrants, however, have been among the most affected by deteriorating economic conditions.

Among students between the ages of 15 and 24 returning to school in the fall, 51.3 per cent of them were employed last month, down a staggering 6.8 percentage points from a year ago.

Statistics Canada says that’s the lowest employment rate for returning students since July 1997, outside of July 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The slowdown in the Canadian job market has also been particularly felt by recent immigrants, as their unemployment rate has climbed 3.1 percentage points on an annual basis to 12.6 per cent in July.

By comparison, the unemployment rate for people born in Canada rose 0.5 percentage points over the last year to 5.6 per cent in the month.

Brendon Bernard, a senior economist at hiring website Indeed, said young people and newcomers have been disproportionately affected by the economic slowdown because employers are hiring fewer workers, rather than laying employees off. 

"Youth and recent newcomers to Canada are a bit more cyclically sensitive to the ups and downs of the job market. But what's also going on is both groups (are) experiencing rapid population growth," Bernard said. 

The increase in unemployment is especially stark for recent immigrant youth, who face a jobless rate of 22.8 per cent. That’s up 8.6 percentage points from a year ago.

The softening job market however doesn't appear to be affecting wage growth yet as average hourly wages continued to grow at a strong pace, rising 5.2 per cent from a year ago.

"It's good news for those in stable employment, they're seeing their paychecks rise at a pretty solid pace," Bernard said. 

"But for those out of work, that's sort of cold comfort."

The Bank of Canada has signalled that it’s increasingly concerned about job market conditions.

Governor Tiff Macklem said last month that the central bank’s decision to cut its key interest rate again was driven in part by a desire to boost economic growth.

The Bank of Canada’s summary of deliberations released earlier this week suggested some members of the governing council are worried further deterioration in the labour market could hinder that process.

"The minutes from last month's Bank of Canada policy decision highlighted growing concern regarding the state of the labour market, and today's data will do little to ease those concerns even with the jobless rate holding steady," wrote Andrew Grantham, a senior economist at CIBC.

Grantham says CIBC expects three more interest rate cuts this year, one at every scheduled decision. The bank's next interest rate decision is set for Sept. 4.

The Bank of Canada's key interest rate now stands at 4.5 per cent, a level that's still expected to restrain economic growth. 

But the central bank has signalled it plans to continue cutting rates, so long as inflation continues to slow. 

MORE National ARTICLES

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says
British Columbia has approved the use of an updated Taser weapon for officers around the province to use as a less-lethal weapon during police confrontations. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the Taser 7 offers the ability to discharge a second shot without reloading a new cartridge and its short-distance shooting range option, among other "enhancements."

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

Text message scam in Nanaimo

Text message scam in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say a text message scam is making its way through the community claiming drivers owe money for speeding in a school zone. Investigators say the bogus text was received by dozens of individuals throughout the Okanagan.

Text message scam in Nanaimo

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'
The British Columbia government is warning people about a scam involving its PayBC website, where an "identical fake website" is collecting personal and credit card information.  The PayBC site gives residents a secure place to pay their bills or for services from the provincial government, but it says it has become aware of phishing attempts against users. 

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.
Environment Canada has added a dust advisories for a large section of central and northern British Columbia in response to "high concentrations of coarse particulate matter" that it says is most prominent near busy roads. The new advisories are up for the regions of Prince George, the Lakes District and Bulkley Valley, covering Smithers, Prince George, Vanderhoof and Houston.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses
Canadian authorities are trying to reassure the public about the safety of bridges in the country following the collapse of a bridge in Baltimore, Md., early this morning after it was rammed by a container ship.

Canadian bridges are safe, officials say after U.S. bridge rammed by ship, collapses