Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:05 AM
  • Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

B.C. Conservative public safety critic Elenore Sturko is refusing to meet a former Vancouver Police Board vice-chair in defiance of the wishes of party leader John Rustad and a group of colleagues, who have backed the woman over controversial social media posts.

Sturko says in an interview she's not "challenging" Rustad, but it's "disappointing" he didn't tell her he was going to publicly post on social media that he met Comfort Sakoma-Fadugba, and Sturko should too.

Sturko reportedly told the CBC that Sakoma-Fadugba's resignation last month was appropriate, and she had made online comments that were offensive, including to the transgender community.

Sturko says in an interview she doesn't intend letting the issue harm her working relationship with her colleagues or Rustad, and she will meet him in Victoria today.

Former RCMP officer Sturko's defection to the Conservatives ahead of the B.C. election was a pivotal moment for the party and Rustad's efforts to create what he called a "big tent" party.

But tensions within the party were exposed by various responses to Sakoma-Fadugba's exit from the police board. Her posts on Instagram had included remarks about the impact of multiculturalism on "Canadian values."

Sturko says she knew when she joined the party there would be differences of opinion but she has "no desire to deepen any real or perceived rift" within the caucus.

"Not seeing that post (by Rustad) before it went up was disappointing, but it hasn't taken away from my desire to continue working with John to improve our province," she said.

"I think that having challenges (is) part of what it means to be in a caucus with a diversity of views in it. It's unfortunate that it spilled over into the public realm, because it gives people at least a perception that could be negative," she said.

Sturko says diversity within the caucus is "great," calling the differences of opinion a "distraction."

The row became public last week when journalist Jas Johal posted a letter on social media that was signed by 13 Conservative MLAs calling for a "written apology" from Sturko to Sakoma-Fadugba.

The document posted by Johal says Sakoma-Fadugba expressed the views of many Conservatives, and if Sturko didn't apologize and meet her then Rustad should.

Johal said on social media late Monday he had been threatened by a former Conservative candidate and he was reporting the matter to police.

MORE National ARTICLES

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing
Mounties in Surrey say a woman has been charged in the weekend stabbing in the city. They say officers responded to a report of a pedestrian being struck around 2:15 A-M on Saturday, but arrived to find a woman suffering from stab wounds.

Woman charged in Surrey stabbing

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation
British Columbia's Public Safety Ministry says it has filed an unexplained wealth order application in court following a 2023 shooting at a Vancouver home. As part of a criminal investigation, the ministry says a suspect's home was searched and police discovered an illegal cannabis-growing operation, ammunition and more than $1.4 million in cash. 

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast
The BC Wildfire Service says rain, light winds and cooler temperatures are expected to decrease fire behaviour in the province this week, just as a newly discovered blaze in the East Kootenays prompts an evacuation order and alerts for more than 50 properties.

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam
A 56-year-old man is facing a sexual assault charge after what Burnaby R-C-M-P are calling a "cleansing ritual scam". Police say a 29-year-old woman was approached by a man at a Burnaby mall on August 5th.

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds
The Canadian Medical Association says there should be better tracking of health care spending, following health care agreements the federal government has signed with the provinces and territories. The doctors’ group has released a new report calling for a greater commitment to tracking improvements in delivery and patient outcomes, citing the complexity of the deals.

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

4 youth assaulted with bear mace
West Shore Mounties say a 32-year-old man is facing eight charges after a group of four youth were assaulted with bear mace last week. They say officers responded to a report of an assault on Wednesday around on the Galloping Goose Trail.

4 youth assaulted with bear mace