Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 11:05 AM
  • Sturko refuses to meet former police board vice-chair, defying B.C. Opposition leader

B.C. Conservative public safety critic Elenore Sturko is refusing to meet a former Vancouver Police Board vice-chair in defiance of the wishes of party leader John Rustad and a group of colleagues, who have backed the woman over controversial social media posts.

Sturko says in an interview she's not "challenging" Rustad, but it's "disappointing" he didn't tell her he was going to publicly post on social media that he met Comfort Sakoma-Fadugba, and Sturko should too.

Sturko reportedly told the CBC that Sakoma-Fadugba's resignation last month was appropriate, and she had made online comments that were offensive, including to the transgender community.

Sturko says in an interview she doesn't intend letting the issue harm her working relationship with her colleagues or Rustad, and she will meet him in Victoria today.

Former RCMP officer Sturko's defection to the Conservatives ahead of the B.C. election was a pivotal moment for the party and Rustad's efforts to create what he called a "big tent" party.

But tensions within the party were exposed by various responses to Sakoma-Fadugba's exit from the police board. Her posts on Instagram had included remarks about the impact of multiculturalism on "Canadian values."

Sturko says she knew when she joined the party there would be differences of opinion but she has "no desire to deepen any real or perceived rift" within the caucus.

"Not seeing that post (by Rustad) before it went up was disappointing, but it hasn't taken away from my desire to continue working with John to improve our province," she said.

"I think that having challenges (is) part of what it means to be in a caucus with a diversity of views in it. It's unfortunate that it spilled over into the public realm, because it gives people at least a perception that could be negative," she said.

Sturko says diversity within the caucus is "great," calling the differences of opinion a "distraction."

The row became public last week when journalist Jas Johal posted a letter on social media that was signed by 13 Conservative MLAs calling for a "written apology" from Sturko to Sakoma-Fadugba.

The document posted by Johal says Sakoma-Fadugba expressed the views of many Conservatives, and if Sturko didn't apologize and meet her then Rustad should.

Johal said on social media late Monday he had been threatened by a former Conservative candidate and he was reporting the matter to police.

MORE National ARTICLES

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall
Police in North Vancouver say homicide investigators have been called in after two women died from falling off the balcony of an apartment building. RCMP say officers responded to reports that two people who had fallen from the building on Esplanade Avenue in the city's Shipyards area at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Homicide investigators called in after two women die in balcony fall

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC
Premier David Eby says the province and University of British Columbia will partner to create housing for more than 1,500 students at the institution's Vancouver campus. He says funding will involve $300 million from the province and $260 million from the university.

Eby pledges $300M towards 1,508-bed student housing project at UBC

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they are investigating after shots were fired into a vehicle by an unknown assailant over the weekend. Surrey R-C-M-P say the shooting happened on the evening of August 17th, when a white S-U-V travelling south on 124 Street was allegedly followed by a suspect vehicle described as a silver Toyota Corolla.

Vehicle weekend shooting in Surrey

Man charged in Surrey murder

Man charged in Surrey murder
A 24-year-old man has been charged in the stabbing death of another man that happened in Surrey in July. BC's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says police were called to the scene of a fight on King George Boulevard on July 23rd and found a man identified as Jason Richard Gill suffering from multiple stab wounds.

Man charged in Surrey murder

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money
Police in White Rock say scammers are using technology to impersonate well-known companies to dupe people out of money.  R-C-M-P say impostors use text messages, phone calls, emails and social media messages to scam people into thinking their from banks, or big companies like Amazon, FedEx and Microsoft. 

White Rock scammers using technology to impersonate known companies to dupe people out of money

4 in hospital in rollover crash

4 in hospital in rollover crash
Surrey R-C-M-P say a rollover crash sent two drivers, a passenger and an infant to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries yesterday afternoon.  Mounties say the crash happened in Whalley at King George Boulevard and 96th Avenue. 

4 in hospital in rollover crash