Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2022 10:28 AM
  • Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

KEREMEOS, B.C. - The BC Wildfire Service says it is using a combination of tools to control a blaze on the outskirts of the southern Okanagan region.

Information officer Mikhail Elsay had said controlled burns were scheduled for Sunday in a bid to rein in the large blaze that has been burning for more than a week.

The service had also assigned crews to put in sprinkler systems to protect properties in the northeast quadrant of the area.

The nearly 60-square-kilometre wildfire is located about 21 kilometres southwest of Penticton.

It has prompted an evacuation order of more than 500 properties and put more than 1,000 others under orders to be ready to leave at short notice.

The service has a crew of 381 firefighters, 16 helicopters and 43 pieces of heavy equipment to help fight the blaze.

MORE National ARTICLES

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed
The Supreme Court of Canada will not hear an appeal from the federal government trying to stop a class action against the RCMP over bullying and harassment. Last fall the Federal Court of Appeal upheld a judge's order certifying the class action.

Class action against RCMP for bullying to proceed

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1
 The change is being made at the tail end of the Omicron wave in Canada, as new reported cases of COVID-19 have declined since mid-January. Duclos said the change is possible because of Canada's high vaccination rates and fewer cases of the virus being detected at the border.

Vaccinated travellers won't need COVID-19 test to enter Canada as of April 1

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine
The World Health Organization says it expects to reject the COVID-19 vaccine candidate from Canada's Medicago because of the company's ties to big tobacco. The two-dose Medicago Covifenz vaccine was authorized in Canada last month for adults between 18 and 64 years old.

WHO may reject sole Canadian-made COVID-19 vaccine

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey
Based on an inspection it was determined that the vehicles were intentionally lit on fire. Although this incident appears to be targeted, a motive has not yet been determined and the vehicle owners are not known to police.

Arson to two vehicles in Fraser Heights area of Surrey

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 329 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 51 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, eight new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,953.

235 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth has appointed a three-person team including two former deputy ministers and a public policy consultant to do the review.

B.C. to review its COVID-19 pandemic response