Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2022 10:28 AM
  • Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

KEREMEOS, B.C. - The BC Wildfire Service says it is using a combination of tools to control a blaze on the outskirts of the southern Okanagan region.

Information officer Mikhail Elsay had said controlled burns were scheduled for Sunday in a bid to rein in the large blaze that has been burning for more than a week.

The service had also assigned crews to put in sprinkler systems to protect properties in the northeast quadrant of the area.

The nearly 60-square-kilometre wildfire is located about 21 kilometres southwest of Penticton.

It has prompted an evacuation order of more than 500 properties and put more than 1,000 others under orders to be ready to leave at short notice.

The service has a crew of 381 firefighters, 16 helicopters and 43 pieces of heavy equipment to help fight the blaze.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation
Dr. Bonnie Henry said last week the province was better positioned to consider removing pandemic restrictions before students begin spring break on Monday.

B.C. set to update COVID-19 situation

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report
 The death review panel report released Wednesday by chief coroner Lisa Lapointe's office sets a deadline of May 9 for the government to create a safer supply policy in collaboration with the BC Centre for Disease Control and the BC Centre on Substance Use.

Urgent action needed on OD deaths: B.C. report

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
There are 405 individuals hospitalized with COVID-19 and 58 are in intensive care. In the past 24 hours, 14 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,929.

274 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male
Wong was a young athlete and a promising student on the night of January 13, 2018, when he was struck by a stray bullet while riding in the back of his parents’ car. He was critically injured and died days later in hospital. Whiteside was also killed in the shooting.

Charges laid for double murder that claimed the life of a 15 year old male

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school
All incidents occurred in the morning between 8:20 to 8:30 a.m. The suspect is described as South Asian, 30-40 years old, medium complexion, dark hair, 5’10, average build, with facial stubble and a moustache.  

Man caught exposing and touching himself near a Surrey school

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership
Roman Baber will launch his campaign Wednesday evening, and says he considers himself to be the underdog in the party's contest, competing against well-known federal Conservatives like Pierre Poilievre and Leslyn Lewis. Former Quebec premier Jean Charest is also planning to enter the race Thursday.    

Anti-lockdown MPP to run for Tory leadership