Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2022 10:28 AM
  • Suppression efforts for Okanagan, B.C., wildfire

KEREMEOS, B.C. - The BC Wildfire Service says it is using a combination of tools to control a blaze on the outskirts of the southern Okanagan region.

Information officer Mikhail Elsay had said controlled burns were scheduled for Sunday in a bid to rein in the large blaze that has been burning for more than a week.

The service had also assigned crews to put in sprinkler systems to protect properties in the northeast quadrant of the area.

The nearly 60-square-kilometre wildfire is located about 21 kilometres southwest of Penticton.

It has prompted an evacuation order of more than 500 properties and put more than 1,000 others under orders to be ready to leave at short notice.

The service has a crew of 381 firefighters, 16 helicopters and 43 pieces of heavy equipment to help fight the blaze.

MORE National ARTICLES

Uber driver assaulted by passenger

Uber driver assaulted by passenger
On January 9, 2022, just after 6:30 a.m., Burnaby RCMP received a call from an Uber driver reporting that he had been assault by a passenger near Manchester Drive and Government Street in North Burnaby. When police arrived, the suspect was no longer on scene.

Uber driver assaulted by passenger

Trudeau, premiers discussing Emergencies Act

Trudeau, premiers discussing Emergencies Act
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is consulting the premiers about using the Emergencies Act as antigovernment blockades continue to paralyze Ottawa and shutter multiple border crossings with the United States.

Trudeau, premiers discussing Emergencies Act

Missing person survived 74 days in B.C. forest

Missing person survived 74 days in B.C. forest
Henry is about 30 kilograms lighter than when they left Nov. 27 to find a camp in the Fairy Creek area where people were protesting old-growth logging.

Missing person survived 74 days in B.C. forest

1,245 COVID19 cases for Friday

1,245 COVID19 cases for Friday
Also, 93.4% (4,040,834) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose, 90.9% (3,930,793) received their second dose, and 54.3% (2,350,639) have received a third dose.

1,245 COVID19 cases for Friday

Dead male found in Langley identified as Sarbjeet Sander by IHIT

Dead male found in Langley identified as Sarbjeet Sander by IHIT
In order to further our investigation, IHIT is releasing the name of the vctim, who has been identified as 57-year-old Sarbjeet Sander. Based on information gathered thus far, there appears to be no link to the ongoing Lower Mainland gang conflict. This incident is believed to be isolated and not random.

Dead male found in Langley identified as Sarbjeet Sander by IHIT

COVID-19 border changes coming next week: minister

COVID-19 border changes coming next week: minister
Anyone travelling within Canada by plane, passenger train or boat must be vaccinated against COVID-19, and international travellers are subject to COVID-19 test requirements.

COVID-19 border changes coming next week: minister