Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:33 PM
  • Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors.

Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

She says in a statement the top court decision reaffirms B.C.'s commitment to holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their role in the opioid crisis, which was declared a public health emergency in the province in April 2016.

The court had already affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing B.C. to pursue a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other Canadian governments last November.

That's after several opioid companies argued in B.C. Supreme Court that the province was overstepping its authority under the constitution.

But a majority of the top court found that B.C.'s law respects the legislative authority of other Canadian governments, which can choose to opt out of the proceeding, and the decision noted that nearly every province and territory as well as the federal government intended to take part in the class-action.

Sharma says the class-action's certification marks a "significant milestone" in the proceedings that date back to 2018, when the province first launched the lawsuit.

"Our goal was clear: to recover the health-care costs of treating opioid-related harms and to hold manufacturers and distributors accountable for their role in allegedly using deceptive marketing practices to drive sales, contributing to addiction and overdose rates in the country," she says.

The most recent data from the B.C. Coroners Service released in December says in the first 10 months of last year there were 1,925 overdose deaths, marking a nine per cent decrease from the same time period in 2023.

Canadian government statistics say there were more than 49,000 opioid toxicity deaths reported between January 2016 and June 2024 across the country. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals
With the Canada Post strike nearing four weeks, the postal service says it doesn't see an end in sight. On Monday, the Canadian Union of Postal Workers sent over its latest list of proposals, which include wage gains and job protections. 

Canada Post strike on day 26 as union sends new proposals

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state
Trump said in a taunting post to Truth Social early Tuesday it was a "pleasure to have dinner" with Trudeau at his Mar-a-Lago estate and that he looks forward to seeing the "governor again soon" to talk tariffs and trade, the "results of which will be truly spectacular for all."

Poll suggests 13% of Canadians think Canada should become the 51st American state

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement
Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland is not committing to meeting the $40.1-billion deficit target she set for the government last year.  Freeland said Tuesday she expects the fall economic statement, which she will present on Dec. 16, will show a declining debt-to-GDP ratio.

Freeland doesn't commit to meeting her own deficit target in fall economic statement

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert
Liberal Minister Harjit Sajjan did not attend the Taylor Swift concert in Vancouver Saturday, despite earlier defending his decision to accept the tickets. Global News first reported that Sajjan would be attending the concert with his daughter, on the taxpayer's dime as a guest of a provincial Crown corporation that owns BC Place. 

After ‘reflecting,’ Sajjan didn’t attend Taylor Swift concert

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission
Authorities in New York state say the search for a 22-year-old Quebec hiker who went missing in the Adirondacks more than a week ago is now likely a recovery mission. The New York State Forest Rangers say heavy snow and cold temperatures have made the search "essentially impossible," and future efforts will depend on the weather. 

Search for Quebec hiker missing in Adirondacks now likely a recovery mission

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear
A statement from the service says 1,925 people have died in overdoses this year, down nine per cent from the first 10 months of 2023.  The 155 people who died from drug poisoning in October is also a drop from the 183 people who died in September.

BC Coroners Service sees 'significant decline' in drug deaths, but reason unclear