Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:33 PM
  • Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors.

Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

She says in a statement the top court decision reaffirms B.C.'s commitment to holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their role in the opioid crisis, which was declared a public health emergency in the province in April 2016.

The court had already affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing B.C. to pursue a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other Canadian governments last November.

That's after several opioid companies argued in B.C. Supreme Court that the province was overstepping its authority under the constitution.

But a majority of the top court found that B.C.'s law respects the legislative authority of other Canadian governments, which can choose to opt out of the proceeding, and the decision noted that nearly every province and territory as well as the federal government intended to take part in the class-action.

Sharma says the class-action's certification marks a "significant milestone" in the proceedings that date back to 2018, when the province first launched the lawsuit.

"Our goal was clear: to recover the health-care costs of treating opioid-related harms and to hold manufacturers and distributors accountable for their role in allegedly using deceptive marketing practices to drive sales, contributing to addiction and overdose rates in the country," she says.

The most recent data from the B.C. Coroners Service released in December says in the first 10 months of last year there were 1,925 overdose deaths, marking a nine per cent decrease from the same time period in 2023.

Canadian government statistics say there were more than 49,000 opioid toxicity deaths reported between January 2016 and June 2024 across the country. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

No injuries in Langley plane crash

No injuries in Langley plane crash
Mounties say no one was hurt in a small plane crash in Langley on Thursday. R-C-M-P says officers along with ambulance services responded to a report of a possible plane crash yesterday afternoon.

No injuries in Langley plane crash

Gruelling days and gratitude for Canadian line workers helping with hurricane outages

Gruelling days and gratitude for Canadian line workers helping with hurricane outages
They are some of the hundreds — possibly thousands — of Canadian line workers who have been called into service to help rebuild power grids after Helene and now Hurricane Milton have left millions of Americans in the dark.

Gruelling days and gratitude for Canadian line workers helping with hurricane outages

B.C. Muslim Association wants Conservative candidate removed for 'time bomb' post

B.C. Muslim Association wants Conservative candidate removed for 'time bomb' post
In a letter to the party and Surrey South candidate Brent Chapman, the association says a statement like the one he posted on Facebook nine years ago "promotes division and hate" and it's imperative he be asked to step down.

B.C. Muslim Association wants Conservative candidate removed for 'time bomb' post

No jail time after fatal 2020 stabbing at Vancouver's former Biltmore Hotel

No jail time after fatal 2020 stabbing at Vancouver's former Biltmore Hotel
The sentencing decision by B.C. provincial court Judge Reginald Harris says 31-year-old Anthony Woods must instead continue to live at a recovery home in the Interior for the first year of his two-year conditional sentence. 

No jail time after fatal 2020 stabbing at Vancouver's former Biltmore Hotel

B.C. billionaire posts third large sign criticizing NDP ahead of the election

B.C. billionaire posts third large sign criticizing NDP ahead of the election
British Columbia billionaire Chip Wilson has put up yet another billboard message to voters, his third post outside his multimillion-dollar mansion in NDP Leader David Eby's own riding.  The latest sign outside the Lululemon co-founder's home says that if Eby and his party can't balance B.C.'s budget then “what right does he have to tell us how to live our lives?”

B.C. billionaire posts third large sign criticizing NDP ahead of the election

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict
The prime minister offered condolences today to the family of a Canadian who was killed in the ongoing fighting in Lebanon. Justin Trudeau reiterated Canada's call for a ceasefire in Lebanon and in Gaza when he spoke with reporters at the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit in Laos.

Trudeau repeats call for Lebanon ceasefire after third Canadian killed in conflict