Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 04:33 PM
  • Supreme Court certifies B.C.'s class-action lawsuit against opioid providers

British Columbia's attorney general says the Supreme Court of Canada has certified the province's class-action lawsuit against opioid manufacturers and distributors.

Niki Sharma says B.C. can now proceed as a representative plaintiff on behalf of other Canadian governments with the litigation aimed at recovering the costs of treating opioid-related diseases allegedly caused by the industry's conduct.

She says in a statement the top court decision reaffirms B.C.'s commitment to holding pharmaceutical companies accountable for their role in the opioid crisis, which was declared a public health emergency in the province in April 2016.

The court had already affirmed the constitutionality of a law allowing B.C. to pursue a class-action lawsuit on behalf of other Canadian governments last November.

That's after several opioid companies argued in B.C. Supreme Court that the province was overstepping its authority under the constitution.

But a majority of the top court found that B.C.'s law respects the legislative authority of other Canadian governments, which can choose to opt out of the proceeding, and the decision noted that nearly every province and territory as well as the federal government intended to take part in the class-action.

Sharma says the class-action's certification marks a "significant milestone" in the proceedings that date back to 2018, when the province first launched the lawsuit.

"Our goal was clear: to recover the health-care costs of treating opioid-related harms and to hold manufacturers and distributors accountable for their role in allegedly using deceptive marketing practices to drive sales, contributing to addiction and overdose rates in the country," she says.

The most recent data from the B.C. Coroners Service released in December says in the first 10 months of last year there were 1,925 overdose deaths, marking a nine per cent decrease from the same time period in 2023.

Canadian government statistics say there were more than 49,000 opioid toxicity deaths reported between January 2016 and June 2024 across the country. 

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Remote access fraud in New Westminster
Police in New Westminster have issued a warning about what they call "remote access" or "tech support" scams, after a member of the public reported that someone else had accessed the cryptocurrency wallet on his phone. Police say the scams often begin with the victim receiving an unsolicited phone call, or they may click on a pop-up message while browsing the Internet.

Remote access fraud in New Westminster

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond
Mounties in Richmond say a search warrant led to the discovery of what they describe as a "sophisticated forged identification lab." R-C-M-P say they conducted the search in December 2022, and criminal charges were approved against a man in early May this year. 

Forgery lab discovered in Richmond

1 in hospital in serious crash

1 in hospital in serious crash
Police in Metro Vancouver are looking for witnesses to a serious crash that sent one person to hospital yesterday morning. Delta Police say it happened along River Road at around 8 a-m, when a white Volkswagen Jetta collided with a semi-truck.

1 in hospital in serious crash

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires
Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma said the weather has offered "much-needed relief" to communities and firefighting crews. Several evacuation orders and alerts have been lifted around the Antler and Shetland creek blazes, she said.

Dry, hot spell to return to southern B.C. after rains, cooler weather dampen fires

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom
An Edmonton man has been sentenced to five years in prison after being convicted in the United Kingdom of being a member of a proscribed terrorist group. RCMP say Khaled Hussein, a Canadian citizen, also received one year on probation.

Edmonton man sentenced to five years in prison in terrorism case in United Kingdom

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release
The head of the federal public service says he is personally committed to "continuous action" to address racism and discrimination in the workplace, following the public release of an internal report that details employees' troubling experiences on the job. 

Privy Council to continue anti-racism efforts, clerk says after report release