Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Surrey Break And Enter Leads To Arrest In Abbotsford

Darpan News Desk, 13 Feb, 2018 10:48 AM
    Surrey RCMP has arrested one man after an alleged residential break and enter in the Fleetwood area of Surrey that led to the seizure of firearms and the recovery of several thousand dollars worth of stolen property.
     
    On January 6, 2018, Surrey RCMP was called after a residential break and enter in the 11200 block of 163rd Street. The homeowners reported that approximately $15,000 of property had been stolen.
     
    Surrey RCMP’s Property Crime Target Team (PCTT) took the lead in this investigation. Officers received information that some of the stolen property was located at a store in Langley. Investigators were able to retrieve one item and identify a possible suspect, 46 year old Richard THOMPSON. Further investigation led police to the 34000 block of Larch Street in Abbotsford.
     
    On January 23rd, officers from PCTT executed a search warrant at the Abbotsford address and among the seized property was six firearms, suspected illicit drugs and scales, and stolen electronics. Four of the firearms are believed to be stolen from other break and enters throughout the Lower Mainland. THOMPSON was arrested in the house when the search warrant was executed.
     
    Two semi-automatic pistols
     
    Large bag of suspected methamphetamine
     
    Bags of marihuana
     
    Thompson is now charged with one count of each of the following offences:
     
    Possession of a loaded handgun without authorization or a license
     
    Possession of a firearm knowing it wasn’t registered
     
    Unsafe storage of a firearm
     
    Trafficking in property obtained by crime
     
     
    THOMPSON has appeared in court and was released on bail with conditions. Investigators are still reviewing the evidence and there is potential for more charges to be laid.
     
    This is a significant seizure of stolen property including several firearms, says Corporal Scotty Schumann. We’re glad to get some of the property back to it’s rightful owners and, thanks in part to the Abbotsford Police and the Langley RCMP, reduce the potential for these firearms to be used in other crimes."
     
    While conducting the search of the Abbotsford property, officers were approached by residents in the neighbourhood that related what they believed was criminal activity but hadn’t notified police.
     
    The Surrey RCMP reminds the public to trust your intuition and call your police or CrimeStoppers when you see suspicious activity in your neighbourhood.
     
    In 2017 Surrey saw a 24% decrease in residential break and enters. Despite this decrease, we still see a number of preventable B&Es that involve insecure premises and garage door openers.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Hillary Clinton Says Dem's Surprise Win In Alabama A 'Turning Point' Against Trump

    Hillary Clinton Says Dem's Surprise Win In Alabama A 'Turning Point' Against Trump
    Hillary Clinton says the Democratic party's surprise win in Alabama during Tuesday's senate race in the United States marks a "turning point" for Americans who are opposed to President Donald Trump.

    Hillary Clinton Says Dem's Surprise Win In Alabama A 'Turning Point' Against Trump

    Toy Makers Turn To Youtube Influencers To Advertise Ahead Of Holidays

    Toy Makers Turn To Youtube Influencers To Advertise Ahead Of Holidays
    Like many kids, Ryan spends his time playing with toys. But, unlike most of his peers, millions of people watch the six-year-old boy open and test toys — a performance that has earned him millions of dollars.

    Toy Makers Turn To Youtube Influencers To Advertise Ahead Of Holidays

    B.C. Man Found Guilty Of Polygamy Believed He Couldn't Be Prosecuted: Lawyer

    CRANBROOK, B.C. — The lawyer for a British Columbia man found guilty of marrying two dozen women says his client believed he could not be prosecuted for polygamy.

    B.C. Man Found Guilty Of Polygamy Believed He Couldn't Be Prosecuted: Lawyer

    Young Indo-Canadian Boxer Eric Basran, 19, Named To 2018 Commonwealth Games

    Young Indo-Canadian Boxer Eric Basran, 19, Named To 2018 Commonwealth Games
    19-year-old Surrey boy Eric Basran has been chosen as one of seven boxers chosen to represent Canada at the upcoming 2018 Commonwealth Games in Australia.

    Young Indo-Canadian Boxer Eric Basran, 19, Named To 2018 Commonwealth Games

    B.C. Adoption Rates 'Disappointing,' Declining This Year, Says Children's Rep

    B.C. Adoption Rates 'Disappointing,' Declining This Year, Says Children's Rep
    VICTORIA — British Columbia's child and youth representative says a government plan to increase adoption rates for young people in care is faltering.

    B.C. Adoption Rates 'Disappointing,' Declining This Year, Says Children's Rep

    Former N.S. Female Firefighter Says She Is To Get Official Apology For Discrimination

    Former N.S. Female Firefighter Says She Is To Get Official Apology For Discrimination
    In an interview Tuesday, Liane Tessier released details of an agreement that she says comes after years of complaints about abusive and disrespectful behaviour from her male counterparts.

    Former N.S. Female Firefighter Says She Is To Get Official Apology For Discrimination