Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Surrey schools face double-decker portables, program cuts, says Falcon, school board

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 26 Apr, 2023 05:21 PM
  • Surrey schools face double-decker portables, program cuts, says Falcon, school board

Opposition BC United Leader Kevin Falcon says the New Democrat government has failed to deliver on its promise from 2017 to eliminate portables at Surrey, B.C., schools.

Falcon told the Legislature Wednesday that instead of removing school portables, the numbers have doubled in six years of NDP government and some schools are now considering placing portables on top of each other, creating "double-decker portables."

He cited a letter Surrey's school board sent to Education Minister Rachna Singh this week saying population growth is exploding in the area and the government has fallen behind on building new schools.

The letter says the district is now looking to buy 30 new portables for next school year and is also preparing to move 39 other portables to manage projected enrolment growth.

Premier David Eby says the government is committed to providing safe learning environments and has opened 10,000 new spaces for students through 16 new schools or additions that are complete or underway across Surrey.

The Surrey school board letter to the education minister says meetings with Surrey New Democrat members of the legislature, including Surrey cabinet ministers Bruce Ralston, Harry Bains and Jagrup Brar, have not yielded enough funding to meet population growth levels.

MORE National ARTICLES

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds
The funding is part of an extra $2 billion allocated in this year’s federal budget to renew and expand the Oceans Protection Plan over nine years. Among the projects are plans to set up a national system for all marine pollution incidents, which includes preparing for releases of hazardous or noxious substances from ships.

Another $1.2 billion for ocean protection: feds

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.
The BC Wildfire Service says the fire discovered Thursday is believed to be human-caused and is just over one hectare in size. Many parts of British Columbia have experienced drought conditions this fall, in stark contrast to the torrential rains that wreaked havoc on the province one year ago.

Evacuation alert due to wildfire by Agassiz, B.C.

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit
Eby says people and small businesses in the province are feeling the squeeze of global inflation and his government is focused on helping residents most impacted by the rising costs.  The one-time cost-of-living credit will be applied automatically to residents' BC Hydro bills this fall. 

New B.C. Premier David Eby hands out $100 credit

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe
While the prime minister did not offer further details, the statement followed the government’s decision in the summer to send two Royal Canadian Navy frigates to the Asia-Pacific region at the same time, as a sign of Canada’s increased engagement. 

Anand says military can work in Asia, Europe

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week
One million bottles of children's medication will have been distributed to hospitals, pharmacies and retailers after next week, health officials said during a media briefing. Health Canada said production of children's acetaminophen and ibuprofen is double what it was last year, but demand is still outstripping supply.

Children's pain meds expected on shelves next week

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier
Eby replaces New Democrat Premier John Horgan, who announced last June he was leaving office due to health concerns. The swearing-in ceremony will be conducted by Lt.-Gov. Janet Austin, but not in the usual location of Government House in Victoria, and instead will be held at the Musqueam Community Centre.  

David Eby to take oath to become B.C.'s premier