Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Nov, 2023 12:44 PM
  • Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training. 

The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

The survey says some of the best job opportunities for those with degrees or diplomas are for nurses, elementary school teachers, software engineers and designers, social and community service workers, early childhood educators and police officers. 

Among the skilled trades, there's a need for cooks, carpenters, building superintendents, hairstylists and heavy equipment operators. 

The government has released a new digital tool called Find Your Path to help people gain insight into the education and career planning they need for the job they want. 

Selina Robinson, the post-secondary education minister, says with so many jobs needed, everyone can find their path to succeed in B.C.'s workforce. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752
Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps shot down the Ukrainian Airlines flight just minutes after takeoff on Jan. 8, 2020, killing all 176 people on board.  The passengers included 55 Canadian citizens and 30 permanent residents, along with others with ties to Canada.

Canada, allies head to international court over Iran's downing of Flight PS752

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Burnaby man dies in home invasion
A woman was also found injured in the home, but police say her injuries aren't considered life threatening. Burnaby R-C-M-P say they were called at around seven this morning to a report of a home invasion. 

Burnaby man dies in home invasion

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw
Canada has invited 500 healthcare workers to immigrate under its new category-based Express Entry selection draws with candidates requiring a minimum comprehensive ranking system (CRS) score of 476. Following this first category-based selection draw since six new categories were announced in May, a second round inviting 1,500 workers to apply will take place on July 5.

Canada invites 500 healthcare workers in its first category-based Express Entry draw

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce says it is "deeply disturbed" the British Columbia port workers' union has served strike notice and is prepared to walk out on Saturday. The chamber has issued a statement urging the federal government to "use all the tools in its tool box" to prevent a strike.

Canadian Chamber of Commerce wants B.C. port strike averted, cites economic impact

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen
Aydin Coban was convicted last year of extortion, harassment and other crimes in a case involving Canadian teenager Amanda Todd who was blackmailed to expose herself in front of a webcam. The 15-year-old died by suicide after detailing her ordeal in a YouTube video watched by millions around the world.  

Lawyers ask Amsterdam court to reduce Canadian 13-year cyberbullying sentence to Dutch citizen

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital
The Fraser Health authority says the emergency department at a Hope, B.C., hospital that was temporarily closed after a fatal police shooting has reopened. Police say the man received immediate medical attention but was pronounced dead at the scene.  

Emergency department reopens after man shot dead by police in B.C. hospital