Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Nov, 2023 12:44 PM
  • Survey says 75% of B.C.'s jobs in next decade will need post-secondary education

The latest labour market survey for British Columbia says 75 per cent of the one million jobs needed over the next decade will require some level of post-secondary education or training. 

The survey says about 650,000 of the openings will be to replace those leaving the workforce, while the rest will be created through economic growth. 

The survey says some of the best job opportunities for those with degrees or diplomas are for nurses, elementary school teachers, software engineers and designers, social and community service workers, early childhood educators and police officers. 

Among the skilled trades, there's a need for cooks, carpenters, building superintendents, hairstylists and heavy equipment operators. 

The government has released a new digital tool called Find Your Path to help people gain insight into the education and career planning they need for the job they want. 

Selina Robinson, the post-secondary education minister, says with so many jobs needed, everyone can find their path to succeed in B.C.'s workforce. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force
The B.C. government recommended in April that Surrey continue its transition to the independent Surrey Police Service, offering $150 million over five years to help the city cover costs, but saying it would not pay the estimated $72 million in severance for officers if council decided to revert back to the RCMP.

Surrey to stay with RCMP over municipal force

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease
Rain and cooler weather over much of British Columbia has prompted two fire centres in the southern and central Interior to roll back campfire bans. The Kamloops and Cariboo fire centres say the Category 1 open fire ban will lift at noon Friday, covering blazes no larger than 1.5-metres high by 1.5-metres wide. 

B.C.'s largest wildfire still threatens, as conditions elsewhere ease

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit
Kelowna R-C-M-P say the 17-year-old driver was caught on the morning of June 14 travelling at 115 kilometres in a grey Volkswagen Jetta. Police say they pulled the driver over and issued him a three-hundred-68-dollar fine, while also impounding his car.

Teen's car impounded after being caught at twice the speed limit

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Woman assaulted in Richmond
Richmond R-C-M-P say the incident happened on June 7th just before midnight, when the victim got off a bus and was about to cross King Road. Police say the male suspect then grabbed the woman from behind and brandished a knife, according to the victim.

Woman assaulted in Richmond

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede
Thanks to recent rain and favourable winds, Tumbler Ridge's roughly 2,000 residents were allowed to return home Thursday when the evacuation order was lifted. There was also good news in Alberta, where an evacuation order was being lifted in the town of Edson, allowing more than 8,000 people to return home.

Evacuation orders lifted in B.C. and Alberta towns as wildfires recede

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources
Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources