Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2024 10:56 AM
  • Talks fail to avert Vancouver transit strike, paralyzing bus and SeaBus service

Metro Vancouver has been left without most bus services and SeaBus after weekend talks between transit supervisors and the Coast Mountain Bus Company broke down without a deal.

TransLink says bus routes operated by Coast Mountain stopped running at 1 a.m. and SeaBus sailings for the morning have also been cancelled.

The SkyTrain, West Coast Express, HandyDART and a handful of bus routes remain operational, although TransLink warns services will be busier than usual.

The 48-hour shutdown of Coast Mountain routes representing 96 per cent of the region's bus services comes after talks involving a mediator ended without an agreement.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees Local 4500, representing more than 180 supervisors, says pickets are planned at transit centres in Vancouver, Surrey, Richmond, Burnaby and Port Coquitlam, as well as at the SeaBus terminal in North Vancouver.

Both Vancouver International Airport and BC Ferries have warned passengers that transit to and from terminals could be delayed due to the strike action.

"We regret these disruptions and the challenges this will cause for the people we serve every day,” says CUPE 4500 spokesman Liam O'Neill in a statement.

“But Coast Mountain could have avoided this. Instead, they put us and, through their inflexibility, transit users in this situation.”

TransLink says it expects bus and SeaBus services to resume Wednesday.

Unions representing other transit workers have said they will not cross picket lines, and CUPE 4500 says it may seek to picket additional sites such as SkyTrain facilities if the Labour Relations Board allows them.

Coast Mountain president Michael McDaniel says the union has refused to adjust its demand for wage increases despite efforts to reach a compromise.

"CMBC offered increased overtime pay, improved benefits, and committed to hiring more supervisors," McDaniel says in a statement. "Unfortunately, the union again refused the improved offer. This is unacceptable and unreasonable."

McDaniel said last week that the union was seeking a 25 per cent wage increase.

The union says members need wage gaps with other TransLink supervisors closed before any lasting settlement is reached.

“With the help of our mediator, CUPE 4500 put in an honest effort to find some common ground with Coast Mountain," O'Neill says. "But we are still not near where we need to be in addressing our key issues.”

Tony Rebelo with CUPE Local 7000, representing SkyTrain workers, said Sunday that members wouldn't cross picket lines if they went up at stations.

CUPE Local 7000 sent out a bulletin Sunday warning members of the potential disruptions.

The bulletin said CUPE 4500 had made a Labour Relations Board complaint against TransLink, the BC Rapid Transit Company, West Coast Express, and Protrans for trying to "reduce the impact" on transit riders during the escalating strike action.

TransLink spokeswoman Tina Lovgreen said in an email Sunday that the company expects all SkyTrain lines to "operate as normal" Monday.

"At this time, CUPE Local 4500 can only legally picket bus and SeaBus," she said.

Cornel Neagu with the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 134, which represents West Vancouver's Blue Bus drivers, also said Sunday that members wouldn't cross lines at hubs such as Phibbs Exchange in North Vancouver.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion
R-C-M-P say it happened just after eight last night in a home in the city's Quinson neighbourhood, northwest of the downtown core. Investigators haven't said how many people might have been involved in the attack or how they were called to the home.

2 hurt in Prince George home invasion

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires
Chief Public Health Officer Dr. Theresa Tam says the smoke from the fires contains microscopic particles that pose significant risk to both humans and animals. The particles can cause asthma attacks, compound breathing problems for people with C-O-P-D, and potentially lead to bronchitis and pneumonia.

Dr.Theresa Tam says to protect health amidst wildfires

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows
The regulator says if emissions regulations successfully limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius, fossil fuel use will drop by 65 per cent from 2021 to 2050. That would prompt a collapse in global oil prices, to as low as US$35 per barrel by 2030 and US$24 per barrel by 2050.

Canada's oil output would plummet by 2050 in a net-zero world, new modelling shows

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang
The police service says in a news release that a thorough review is underway to determine what information was contained in the 186 files that were accessed in the attack on a third-party file transfer system called MOVEit. It says the hackers did not gain access to the Transit Police network, and the software vulnerability has been patched and repaired.  

Metro Vancouver Transit Police files hacked in raid linked to Russian extortion gang

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting
Assistant Commissioner Brian Edwards called the killing "brazen" and "appalling," saying it was "disgusting" that the incident happened at a place of worship, with many other community members present at the time of the attack.

Police ask Sikh community to share information regarding Surrey gurdwara shooting

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing
The B-C government recommended in April that Surrey continue the transition to an independent force and Farnworth set out requirements for safe and effective policing, which the city would need to follow in order to keep the Mounties.  

Province receives report from Surrey officials on policing