Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tam COVID cases four times as high as third-wave peak

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Jan, 2022 10:48 AM
  • Tam COVID cases four times as high as third-wave peak

OTTAWA - Canada's chief public health officer Dr. Theresa Tam says the Omicron variant is causing an "enormous" volume of COVID-19 cases, but severe illness is not rising at the same rate.

Tam says the average daily case count rose 65 per cent from last week, with an average of close to 42,000 cases being reported daily over the past seven days up to Wednesday.

She says although testing capacity is challenged in many areas of the country — meaning case numbers are underestimated — other indicators such as laboratory test positivity and hospitalizations are being used to measure the progress of the virus.

Tam says the portion of laboratory tests coming back positive is estimated at 29 per cent, indicating significant community transmission.

She says that while evidence suggests the risk of hospitalization from Omicron is lower compared to Delta, the sudden acceleration of the new variant is driving a rise in hospital admissions.

However, she says although current daily case counts are already 400 per cent higher than the peak of the third wave last year, severe illness is not spiking at the same "explosive" rate.

She says an average of close to 3,650 people with COVID-19 were being treated in hospitals daily, with almost 600 in intensive care units, representing weekly increases of 91 per cent and 25 per cent respectively.

On average, 39 deaths were reported each day.

Tam is urging the seven million eligible Canadians who have not yet received a dose of COVID-19 vaccine to do so, while also calling for everyone else to get a booster shot when they can.

She also says people should limit in-person contacts to immediate household members as much as possible.

"This might feel like a double marathon that we didn't sign up for," Tam told a briefing on Friday.

"But despite feeling tired, we should have a sense of achievement for the ground we have covered so far, for staying on track and knowing we can still draw strength from each other to get where we need to go."

MORE National ARTICLES

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts
Justice Minister David Lametti says he will appoint a special interlocutor to work with Indigenous communities and the government to propose changes to federal laws, policies and practices that are related to unmarked graves at residential schools.

Feds commit $321M for residential school impacts

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says
In a report published this morning, budget officer Yves Giroux says Ottawa topped up expenditures on its national housing strategy by nearly one quarter for an average of $3.7 billion annually over the past three years.

Housing strategy having 'limited' impact, PBO says

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian
O'Toole also reopened the door to a Canadian boycott of next year's Winter Olympics in China, warning the Chinese government's recent actions show Canadians are not safe in the country.

O'Toole blasts Chinese death sentence for Canadian

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition
Today's arguments are expected to be the last before the actual extradition hearing in Meng's case begins in the B.C. Supreme Court later this week.

Crown to argue against stay in Meng extradition

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days
There were 422 new cases from Friday to Saturday, marking the third day in a row that case counts topped 400. From Saturday to Sunday, there were 364 cases, while 293 cases were reported from Sunday to Monday.

1079 COVID19 cases over 3 days

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit
Starting Sept. 1, 2021, children 12 and under will be able to “Get on Board” any BC Transit or TransLink service for free as part of the provincial government’s commitment to efficient, reliable and affordable transit for families.    

Children 12 and under will soon ride free on B.C. public transit