Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tam says reason for optimism in fourth wave fight

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Oct, 2021 10:02 AM
  • Tam says reason for optimism in fourth wave fight

OTTAWA - Canada's chief public health officer has shot a dose of optimism into the country's fight against the fourth wave of COVID-19.

Dr. Theresa Tam said the efforts made to slow the spread where the virus is surging appear to be working.

She said hard lessons must be learned about the risks of removing public health measures too soon, particularly in areas where not enough people have been vaccinated.

"The curve is just bending," Tam told a briefing Friday. She also emphasized how basic measures, like masking, should remain in place to avoid another surge in the winter.

Tam said it's promising that more than 80 per cent of Canadians eligible to receive a shot are now fully vaccinated against COVID-19, however, there are still some six million eligible Canadians who are not properly immunized.

She cautioned that people should follow public health measures heading into the Thanksgiving weekend.

Specifically, she advised people to restrict indoor Thanksgiving gatherings to those who are fully vaccinated and hosts should make efforts to open windows to improve ventilation.

Family members or friends who have added health concerns might want to still wear a mask, Tam added.

For those who are not fully vaccinated, Tam recommends gatherings be kept to household members only and ideally take place outdoors.

Both she and Dr. Howard Njoo, deputy chief public health officer, acknowledged asking guests their vaccination status could prove difficult.

The health agency today released its latest modelling for the pandemic which shows it saw an average of 3,700 new cases reported daily across the country this week, far fewer than initially projected.

Tam says nationally, this is also the first time since July where it does not appear the pandemic is in a growth pattern.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. expands safer alternatives to toxic drugs

B.C. expands safer alternatives to toxic drugs
The Ministry of Mental Health and Addictions says people who have been clinically assessed will get alternatives including oral opioids to replace drugs that could be laced with potentially deadly fentanyl.

B.C. expands safer alternatives to toxic drugs

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1
The federal government says cruise ships will be allowed back in Canadian waters in November, but they must follow public health requirements. Transport Minister Omar Alghabra says the prohibition on cruise ships because of COVID-19 will be lifted Nov. 1.

Cruise ships back in Canadian waters on Nov. 1

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place
Since then, a video has emerged of a protestor yelling what appear to be racially motivated comments and accusations at a staff member who asked him to leave the property.

Investigation into alleged racist comments hurled at a Sikh security guard in Kelowna taking place

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged
Retired general Jonathan Vance, former chief of the defence staff, has been charged with obstruction of justice related to an investigation into allegations of sexual misconduct.

Former defence chief Jonathan Vance charged

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack
The statement says one of the animals was found close to the site where the child was bitten on the head and neck at around dusk on Monday.

Coyotes euthanized after Stanley Park attack

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says
Prof. Sarah Beaulieu of the University of the Fraser Valley says the search has covered less than a hectare and there is another 65 hectares to search. Beaulieu says the investigation also has evidence from those who were as young as six at the time being woken in the night to dig graves.

More ground to search in Kamloops, expert says