Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:38 AM
  • Teens face 1st degree murder charges in First Nations double homicide

Prosecutors say two teens apprehended last week in connection with a double homicide in a First Nations community in northern Quebec are facing first-degree murder charges.

A spokeswoman for the Crown says the 17-year-old boys, who can't be named because they are minors, were charged each with two counts of premeditated murder over the weekend and are due back in court today.

The two male victims, 30-year-old Bedabin Neeposh and 29-year-old Daniel Benac, died after being found in a bullet-riddled car last Wednesday night in the First Nations community about 600 kilometres northwest of Quebec City.

The teens were arrested by a tactical unit Friday in the community of Mistissini, a Cree community in northern Quebec.

Provincial police have said the fatal shooting was likely linked to organized crime and possibly a settling of accounts.

The killings of the two local men badly shook the Cree Nation of Mistissini, with the community briefly under a lockdown order on Thursday morning.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Spencer Colby

MORE National ARTICLES

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk
Two First Nations chiefs are accusing Alberta Premier Danielle Smith of "attempting to manufacture a national unity crisis" and are calling on her to stop stoking the fires of separatism.

Indigenous chiefs call for Alberta Premier Smith to stop stoking separatism talk

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout
The Liberals rose from the ashes under Prime Minister Mark Carney in a stunning reversal of fortunes this year, but the party's failure to sweep many of the ridings it sought Monday night denied it a resounding majority mandate.

Ontario, Prairies blocked Liberals from an election-night majority blowout

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son
Alejandro Samper was getting ready for work on Saturday night when he received a call from his sister's fiancé about a "terrible accident," and he rushed to the scene of the Lapu Lapu Day festival in Vancouver. 

'Just destroyed': Three members of family from Colombia died in B.C. attack, says son

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds
Questions are swirling around the fate of the federal New Democrats in British Columbia, including the matter of leadership, after devastating election losses in the formerprovincial stronghold.

Questions swirl around decimated NDP in former British Columbia strongholds

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election
Elections Canada says more than 68 per cent of eligible voterscast a ballot in the federal election — more than 19.5 million people.

Elections Canada says more than 19.5M voters cast a ballot in federal election

Winnipeg councillor, son of former Manitoba premier dead: mayor says

Winnipeg councillor, son of former Manitoba premier dead: mayor says
A Winnipeg city councillor who was the son of a formerManitoba premier and governor general of Canada has died.

Winnipeg councillor, son of former Manitoba premier dead: mayor says