Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Temperatures set plummet from Vancouver to Yukon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Dec, 2022 06:46 PM
  • Temperatures set plummet from Vancouver to Yukon

SURREY, B.C. - British Columbia is warning drivers to prepare winter survival kits as a blast of frigid cold hits over the next week and the mercury plummets across the province.

Temperatures over the next week are forecast to be five to 10 degrees Celsius below normal for the South Coast and Haida Gwaii, and 10 to 20 degrees below normal for the Interior and the North.

In parts of the North and Yukon, daytime maximum temperatures are forecast to be below -30 C by Wednesday.

B.C.'s Ministry of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness says in a statement that local warming centres may be opened to protect vulnerable populations and emergency shelter spaces are also available for people in need of a warm, safe place.

Drivers are being asked to check the forecast and be prepared by having a full tank of fuel and packing a winter survival kit including a snow brush, flashlights and first aid supplies.

"Drivers are reminded to plan ahead and drive according to weather and road conditions. Commuters should be prepared for delays and potential service disruptions on transit routes," the statement says.

It says provincial roads will be brined and if weather conditions worsen, drivers should stay off the road.

Vancouver is expecting a combination of rain and snow over the weekend and throughout much of next week, with a daytime maximum of -5 C on Tuesday.

Environment Canada says nearly five centimetres of snow is possible over Metro Vancouver on the weekend.

A bigger dump of up to 25 cm blanketed the south coast and Vancouver Island at the end of November, leading to rush-hour crashes that blocked major roads and cut power for nearly 100,000 BC Hydro customers, and causing a plane to skid off a taxiway at Vancouver International Airport.

Surrey city councillor Linda Annis was one of those trapped in the Nov. 29 gridlock. She says it took her nine and a half hours to get from Vancouver to South Surrey.

"(It was a) very, very long, frustrating trip. And for me, I quickly realized that I had no way to get home. All the access points to going over the Fraser River were closed or were stuck with vehicles," she said.

Annis and New Westminster city councillor Daniel Fontaine are calling for a "snow summit" to come up with ways to avoid a repeat. They want to involve the province, Metro Vancouver, municipalities, first responders and road maintenance contractors.

Annis said there needs to be a united approach to snow that includes better communication with the public and possibly snow driving clinics run by the Insurance Corporation of B.C.

"Because clearly in Vancouver, we're not very good at it. And you know, we don't get it often enough to really become experienced," she said.

Annis and Fontaine wrote to Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Rob Fleming and the chair of Metro Vancouver's regional district pitching the idea last week but have yet to hear back.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure says in a statement it is aware of the request, but neither it nor Fleming had been formally invited to participate.

The ministry says it reviewed its response to the November snowfall and has worked with Lower Mainland contractors to improve deployment of plow and tow trucks.

"Ministry staff have also already reached out to their counterparts in Lower Mainland municipalities to discuss winter weather response, strengthen communication lines, and share information on our level of preparedness based on available weather forecasts," it says.

Environment Canada, meanwhile, says in a special weather statement for Yukon and northern B.C. that arctic air that will be accompanied by gusty northerly winds and the threat of bitterly cold temperatures and dangerous wind chill values.

The statement covers B.C. communities including Atlin, Dease Lake and Fort Nelson, where a maximum temperature of -31 C is forecast by Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave
Mark was the minister for tourism, arts, culture and sport. She will continue to represent the riding of Vancouver-Mount Pleasant in the legislature. Mark is the first First Nations woman elected to B.C.'s legislative assembly, and the first to serve as a cabinet minister.

B.C. cabinet minister Melanie Mark to take leave

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year
New data from the service cites 169 drug deaths last month, representing a 12 per cent decrease from July, and equating to about 5.5 deaths per day. It says illicit drug toxicity is the leading cause of unnatural death in B.C., with an average of 184 drug deaths each month since October 2020.

Nearly 1,500 drug deaths in B.C. this year

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall
Officials said during a technical briefing today that pressures on the health system including staffing shortages are being factored into planning for hospital bed capacity. This is expected to be the first season the flu has a significant comeback since pandemic restrictions dampened the spread of it and other respiratory illnesses over the past two years.

B.C. prepares for flu and COVID-19 this fall

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole
The victim was injured and required medical attention, however the injuries are not life threatening. Several officers flooded the area in search of the suspect, however he has not yet been located.

Young female student randomly attacked in Downtown, hit over the back of the head with a pole

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey
With a rapidly growing population, the Mayor and Safe Surrey Coalition recognize the need for more infrastructure across the City of Surrey. Recently announcing his plan to build a new swimming pool for residents living in Cloverdale and Clayton at the Clayton Community Centre, Mayor Doug McCallum has now turned his attention to North Surrey. 

WATCH: Surrey Mayor announces new swimming pool for North Surrey

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault
 54-year-old, Olumuyiwa Bamgbade was charged with one count of sexual assault. Doctor Bamgbade has been operating the pain clinic in Surrey since October 2021 and prior to that practiced in Delta, BC. 

Surrey anesthesiologist charged with sexual assault