Sunday, May 24, 2026
ADVT 
National

Temperatures set plummet from Vancouver to Yukon

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 16 Dec, 2022 06:46 PM
  • Temperatures set plummet from Vancouver to Yukon

SURREY, B.C. - British Columbia is warning drivers to prepare winter survival kits as a blast of frigid cold hits over the next week and the mercury plummets across the province.

Temperatures over the next week are forecast to be five to 10 degrees Celsius below normal for the South Coast and Haida Gwaii, and 10 to 20 degrees below normal for the Interior and the North.

In parts of the North and Yukon, daytime maximum temperatures are forecast to be below -30 C by Wednesday.

B.C.'s Ministry of Emergency Management and Climate Readiness says in a statement that local warming centres may be opened to protect vulnerable populations and emergency shelter spaces are also available for people in need of a warm, safe place.

Drivers are being asked to check the forecast and be prepared by having a full tank of fuel and packing a winter survival kit including a snow brush, flashlights and first aid supplies.

"Drivers are reminded to plan ahead and drive according to weather and road conditions. Commuters should be prepared for delays and potential service disruptions on transit routes," the statement says.

It says provincial roads will be brined and if weather conditions worsen, drivers should stay off the road.

Vancouver is expecting a combination of rain and snow over the weekend and throughout much of next week, with a daytime maximum of -5 C on Tuesday.

Environment Canada says nearly five centimetres of snow is possible over Metro Vancouver on the weekend.

A bigger dump of up to 25 cm blanketed the south coast and Vancouver Island at the end of November, leading to rush-hour crashes that blocked major roads and cut power for nearly 100,000 BC Hydro customers, and causing a plane to skid off a taxiway at Vancouver International Airport.

Surrey city councillor Linda Annis was one of those trapped in the Nov. 29 gridlock. She says it took her nine and a half hours to get from Vancouver to South Surrey.

"(It was a) very, very long, frustrating trip. And for me, I quickly realized that I had no way to get home. All the access points to going over the Fraser River were closed or were stuck with vehicles," she said.

Annis and New Westminster city councillor Daniel Fontaine are calling for a "snow summit" to come up with ways to avoid a repeat. They want to involve the province, Metro Vancouver, municipalities, first responders and road maintenance contractors.

Annis said there needs to be a united approach to snow that includes better communication with the public and possibly snow driving clinics run by the Insurance Corporation of B.C.

"Because clearly in Vancouver, we're not very good at it. And you know, we don't get it often enough to really become experienced," she said.

Annis and Fontaine wrote to Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Rob Fleming and the chair of Metro Vancouver's regional district pitching the idea last week but have yet to hear back.

The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure says in a statement it is aware of the request, but neither it nor Fleming had been formally invited to participate.

The ministry says it reviewed its response to the November snowfall and has worked with Lower Mainland contractors to improve deployment of plow and tow trucks.

"Ministry staff have also already reached out to their counterparts in Lower Mainland municipalities to discuss winter weather response, strengthen communication lines, and share information on our level of preparedness based on available weather forecasts," it says.

Environment Canada, meanwhile, says in a special weather statement for Yukon and northern B.C. that arctic air that will be accompanied by gusty northerly winds and the threat of bitterly cold temperatures and dangerous wind chill values.

The statement covers B.C. communities including Atlin, Dease Lake and Fort Nelson, where a maximum temperature of -31 C is forecast by Wednesday.

MORE National ARTICLES

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit
Sixteen people were killed and 13 were injured when an inexperienced truck driver went through a stop sign and into the path of the junior hockey team's bus at a rural intersection near Tisdale, Sask., on April 6, 2018. Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, the trucker who caused the crash, was sentenced to eight years in prison after he pleaded guilty to dangerous driving charges. In July, he was granted day parole for six months.

Appeal Court removes stay on Broncos lawsuit

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns
Any sparks that may fly between Poilievre and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will have to wait for Thursday, when Trudeau returns to the House following the United Nations General Assembly. On Tuesday, the Liberals wasted no time introducing legislation to offer some brief respite to lower-income Canadians struggling to pay their bills amid soaring costs.

Eyes on affordability as House of Commons returns

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures
A senior government official who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss matters not made public says no decision has been made. Under the soon-to-expire rules, foreign nationals are typically not allowed to travel to Canada unless they have completed a primary series of an approved COVID-19 vaccine, unless they qualify for an exception.

Feds mull lifting COVID-19 travel measures

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT
On Tuesday morning at 9:25 a.m, Surrey RCMP,  received a reported of a person passed out in a running vehicle in the 8800-block of 127 Street. First responders arrived on scene and located an injured person who was unresponsive. Despite lifesaving efforts, the man did not survive.  

Injured man located in running vehicle passes away in Surrey, traffic being re-routed: IHIT

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Liberals table dental-care legislation
If granted royal assent, Bill C-31 would provide qualifying families with children under the age of 12 with up to $650 per child each year to pay for dental care services. Families with a household income under $90,000 need to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with the name of their licensed dental-care practitioner and the month of the planned appointment.

Liberals table dental-care legislation

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.
The lumber producer says it is taking a two-week curtailment starting Sept. 26 at the majority of its solid wood facilities in B.C. Production will resume with reduced operating schedules until the end of the year.

Canfor reducing production capacity in B.C.