Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions build in Wet'suwet'en territory in B.C.

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 18 Nov, 2021 04:19 PM
  • Tensions build in Wet'suwet'en territory in B.C.

HOUSTON, B.C. - The access road that has been blockaded by First Nations protesters since Sunday has been cleared by the RCMP and can now be used to bring water and other supplies to more than 500 pipeline workers, Coastal GasLink says.

Mountiesin northern British Columbia said earlier Thursday that they were enforcing an injunction barring protests from blocking the access road used by the pipeline workers.

Coastal GasLink said in a statement that the company has been told the road is not yet secured for public travel.

The RCMP did not confirm if arrests had been made, but a spokesperson for protesters who set up the blockade along the road said in a video posted online that officers read out the injunction order and then began arresting people.

The blockade was set up by members of the Gidimt'en clan, one of five in the Wet'suwet'en Nation, cutting off access for more than 500 pipeline workers. The workers had been given eight hours' notice to leave, the group said in a statement.

Gidimt'en spokesperson Sleydo', whose also goes by the English name Molly Wickham, said about 15 people have been arrested, including two Wet'suwet'en elders, for breaching the injunction, but no criminal charges have been laid.

She saidthe court-ordered injunction has no authority on their land.

"They are trespassing, violating human rights, violating Indigenous rights and, most importantly, they are violating Wet'suwet'en law," she said in another video shared earlier Thursday.

However, a statement released Wednesday by the elected Wet'suwet'en council said the protesters didn't consult with them before blocking the road and their actions "can't claim to represent the members of the Gidimt'en or any others in the First Nation."

The Mounties were called in to assist as several hundred workers have been "illegally blocked in by the protesters, who have also been preventing essential supplies and services into the camp," RCMP said in a statement on Thursday.

"We were hoping that a solution would be reached without the need for police enforcement, however, it has become very clear to us that our discretionary period has come to an end and the RCMP must now enforce the (court) orders."

Chief Supt. John Brewer said in the statement the RCMP have "serious concerns" with protesters cutting down trees, vandalizing heavy machinery and damaging the forest service road in an effort to prevent industry and police from getting through.

The dispute over the 670-kilometre natural gas pipeline flared previously in 2019 and 2020, and protesters who defied the court injunction were arrested.

Opposition to the pipeline among Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs at the time sparked solidarity rallies and rail blockades across Canada last year. The elected chief and council of the Wet'suwet'en First Nation and others in the area had approved the project.

Since then, a memorandum of understanding has been signed between the federal and provincial governments and Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs, easing tensions up until now.

The RCMP said they have set up an access control point on the Morice Forest Service Road to prevent further escalation of the situation and to mitigate safety concerns.

Jennifer Wickham, media co-ordinator for the Gidimt'en checkpoint, said chartered planes with RCMP officers had been arriving over the past two days and a number of arrests have been made so far, including two Wet'suwet'en elders.

"I think it's absolutely crazy that they are sending all these RCMP up north right now when there's a state of emergency in the province," she said in an interview.

Coastal GasLink has said in statements throughout this week that it's concerned for its workers, who were at risk of running out of water and other supplies.

"It is unfortunate that the RCMP must take this step so that lawful access to our lodges and public forestry roads can be restored," it said Thursday. "As soon as it is safe to do so, water and other supplies will be brought into our workforce lodges."

The pipeline that would transport natural gas from Dawson Creek in northeastern B.C. to Kitimat on the coast is more than halfway finished with almost all of the route cleared and 200 kilometres of pipeline installed so far, the company said.

EARLIER STORY:

HOUSTON, B.C. - Mounties in northern British Columbia say they are enforcing an injunction barring protests from blocking an access road used by Coastal GasLink pipeline workers.

The RCMP wouldn't confirm Thursday if arrests had been made. A spokesperson for protesters who set up a blockade along the road said in a video posted online that officers had read out the injunction order and then began arresting people.

The blockade was set up Sunday by members of the Gidimt'en clan, one of five in the Wet'suwet'en Nation, cutting off access for more than 500 pipeline workers. The workers had been given eight hours' notice to leave, the group said in a statement.

Gidimt'en spokesperson Sleydo', whose also goes by the English name Molly Wickham, said the court-ordered injunction has no authority on their land.

"Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs and our clans have full jurisdiction here," she said in the video shared Thursday. "They are trespassing, violating human rights, violating Indigenous rights and, most importantly, they are violating Wet'suwet'en law."

However, a statement released Wednesday by the elected Wet'suwet'en council said the protesters didn't consult with them before blocking the road and their actions "can't claim to represent the members of the Gidimt'en or any others in the First Nation."

The Mounties were called in to assist as several hundred workers have been "illegally blocked in by the protesters, who have also been preventing essential supplies and services into the camp," RCMP said in a statement on Thursday.

"We were hoping that a solution would be reached without the need for police enforcement, however, it has become very clear to us that our discretionary period has come to an end and the RCMP must now enforce the (court) orders."

Chief Supt. John Brewer said in the statement the RCMP have "serious concerns" with protesters cutting down trees, vandalizing heavy machinery and damaging the forest service road in an effort to prevent industry and police from getting through.

The dispute over the 670-kilometre natural gas pipeline flared previously in 2019 and 2020, and protesters who defied the court injunction were arrested.

Opposition to the pipeline among Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs at the time sparked solidarity rallies and rail blockades across Canada last year. The elected chief and council of the Wet'suwet'en First Nation and others in the area had approved the project.

Since then, a memorandum of understanding has been signed between the federal and provincial governments and Wet'suwet'en hereditary chiefs, easing tensions up until now.

The RCMP said they have set up an access control point the Morice Forest Service Road to prevent further escalation of the situation and to mitigate safety concerns.

Jennifer Wickham, media co-ordinator for the Gidimt'en checkpoint, said chartered planes with RCMP officers had been arriving over the past two days and a number of arrests have been made so far, including two Wet'suwet'en elders.

"I think it's absolutely crazy that they are sending all these RCMP up north right now when there's a state of emergency in the province," she said in an interview.

Coastal GasLink has said in statements throughout this week that it's concerned for its workers, who were at risk of running out of water and other supplies.

"It is unfortunate that the RCMP must take this step so that lawful access to our lodges and public forestry roads can be restored," it said Thursday. "As soon as it is safe to do so, water and other supplies will be brought into our workforce lodges."

The pipeline that would transport natural gas from Dawson Creek in northeastern B.C. to Kitimat on the coast is more than halfway finished with almost all of the route cleared and 200 kilometres of pipeline installed so far, the company said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident
The Abbotsford Police Department is investigating a suspicious occurrence involving three children in East Abbotsford. During the conversation, one male invited the children to get into his car to drive to his house, where there would be other children to play with. The eldest child was uncomfortable with the conversation, grabbed her siblings and ran home to tell their parents. 

Abbotsford Police Department investigating possible luring incident

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far
Health Canada says at least 1.3 million Canadians opted for a mixed-dose finish to their COVID-19 vaccination schedule in June. 

More than 1M Canadians have mixed vaccines so far

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse
Global Affairs Canada said on Tuesday that the Canadian is among 32 dead in the collapse that occurred on June 24. The government agency said three other Canadians are among the 113 people who remain unaccounted for.

Canadian killed in Miami building collapse

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll
A new poll suggests Justin Trudeau's Liberal party has only a narrow lead over the Opposition Conservatives among decided voters.

Liberals lead Tories among decided voters: Poll

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP
Police are investigating a shooting and separate vehicle fire in Surrey, B.C. RCMP say a home and vehicle in the Fleetwood neighbourhood were hit by several bullets just after 9 p.m. Monday.

Possible gang link to latest Surrey shooting: RCMP

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT
RCMP say the 42-year-old woman called police late Monday to report she had fled the home after being stabbed, but the child was still in the house. The woman's attacker, who police say is known to the victims, is alleged to have set the home on fire before driving away.

5 year old dead in a Surrey house fire as a result of a domestic violence incident: IHIT