Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury
A judge has decided the trial of a man accused of killing four women in Winnipeg will still be heard by a jury.

Winnipeg judge rules trial of serial killer to start with jury

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report
After holding public hearings and gathering evidence in private, inquiry commissioner Marie-Josée Hogue has released an interim report into foreign interference in Canada's last two general elections.

Five things to know about foreign interference from the inquiry's interim report

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet
The first Arctic and Offshore Patrol Vessel for Canada's Pacific fleet will officially be commissioned in a ceremony featuring Princess Anne, the sister of King Charles.

Princess Anne to take part in B.C. ceremony bringing new ship into Pacific fleet

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment
Environmental groups say the Liberal government is giving up its authority to regulate greenhouse gas emissions through proposed amendments to the federal Impact Assessment Act.

Environmental groups criticize government walk-back on pollution impact assessment

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions
A lawyer for B.C.'s Public Safety Ministry says the City of Surrey was given a pathway to retain the RCMP as its police force, but "made no effort at all" to meet conditions to do so.

Lawyer says Surrey had pathway to keep RCMP but made 'no effort' to meet conditions

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'
Quebec Premier François Legault on Thursday called for the end to the pro-Palestinian protest encampment on the lower field of McGill University's downtown campus in Montreal, saying he expected police to dismantle the tents.

Quebec premier says pro-Palestinian encampment at McGill 'has to be dismantled'