Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested
A statement from the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says 27-year-old Dimitri Nelson Hyacinth has been charged over the alleged assault of a 28-year man, Jatinder Singh, along the White Rock pier and promenade on April 21st. Two days later, 26-year-old Kulwinder Singh Sohi was fatally stabbed in the same area, though R-C-M-P did not provide an update on any further charges.

White Rock stabbing suspect arrested

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature
A proposal by British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad to use "biological sex" to classify participants in publicly funded sports teams and events, effectively banning transgender athletes, didn't get to first base.

B.C. Conservatives' 'biological sex' sports bill is quickly quashed in legislature

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million
The Alberta government will consult with the province's sexual assault centres to determine how to spend an additional $10 million over the next three years.

Alberta sexual assault centres to be consulted on spending additional $10 million

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary
The mayors of Alberta's two biggest cities say the province has pulled $12 million in funding meant to help low-income residents access public transit.

Alberta pulls funding help for low-income transit riders in Edmonton and Calgary

Residential Schools Lawsuit

Residential Schools Lawsuit
The lawyer for a residential school survivor leading a proposed class-action lawsuit against the Catholic Church and one of its priests says legal action is a fallback to get everyone to come together and resolve the issue.

Residential Schools Lawsuit

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme
British Columbia has secured eight new sites for its BC Builds program, in which land owned by the province, non-profits or community groups is pre-zoned to build middle-income rental housing.

B.C. secures eight new sites for middle-income rental housing scheme