Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M
Mounties in Richmond are warning the public after a "significant rise" in romance scams and investment schemes in the city, with a loss of more than $16 million last year. Police say they received 87 reports of romance crimes in 2023, and the trend continues this year with another 12 cases being reported between January to March with nearly $500,000 lost.

Mounties in Richmond warn of romance-investment scams costing some over $16M

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says
British Columbia has approved the use of an updated Taser weapon for officers around the province to use as a less-lethal weapon during police confrontations. A statement from the Ministry of Public Safety says the Taser 7 offers the ability to discharge a second shot without reloading a new cartridge and its short-distance shooting range option, among other "enhancements."

New, improved stun gun is accepted for police use in B.C., province says

Text message scam in Nanaimo

Text message scam in Nanaimo
Mounties in Nanaimo say a text message scam is making its way through the community claiming drivers owe money for speeding in a school zone. Investigators say the bogus text was received by dozens of individuals throughout the Okanagan.

Text message scam in Nanaimo

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'
The British Columbia government is warning people about a scam involving its PayBC website, where an "identical fake website" is collecting personal and credit card information.  The PayBC site gives residents a secure place to pay their bills or for services from the provincial government, but it says it has become aware of phishing attempts against users. 

B.C. warns of 'identical' government payment website made by 'malicious actors'

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.
Environment Canada has added a dust advisories for a large section of central and northern British Columbia in response to "high concentrations of coarse particulate matter" that it says is most prominent near busy roads. The new advisories are up for the regions of Prince George, the Lakes District and Bulkley Valley, covering Smithers, Prince George, Vanderhoof and Houston.

Environment Canada issues dust advisory for central and northern B.C.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay
A spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly says 18 Canadians were brought out of Haiti by helicopter this morning. On Monday, Joly had said the 18 had already left, but Global Affairs Canada has clarified that their departure was put off due to bad weather.

First airlift for Canadians fleeing Haiti is complete after weather delay