Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man
Police in Surrey say a 38-year-old man has been charged with second-degree murder, 18 months after the shooting death of 37-year-old Troy Michael Regnier.  Surrey R-C-M-P say the B-C Prosecution Service has charged Justin Bos in Regnier's death.  

Second degree murder charge for Surrey man

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says
Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew is asking the federal government to call for an immediate ceasefire in the Israel-Hamas war. Kinew says Israel has the right to exist, and Hamas must be destroyed, but the growing destruction and famine in civilian areas must stop.

Ceasefire needed in Gaza as civilian casualties mount, Manitoba premier says

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford
Police say a 52-year-old woman has suffered serious injuries after being hit by a vehicle at an Abbotsford intersection. Abbotsford police say the woman was taken to hospital after the collision, but no updates on her condition have been given.

Pedestrian hit in Abbotsford

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods
The federal government estimates it will need to pay almost $3.4 billion for its share of the disaster recovery bills for flooding and landslides that devastated British Columbia's Fraser Valley in November 2021. But more than two years after that disaster occurred, only about 40 per cent of that has been paid.

Disaster aid in Fraser Valley floods

Surrey council restricts access over 'disruptive' pro-Palestine protests

Surrey council restricts access over 'disruptive' pro-Palestine protests
City council in Surrey says it is restricting public access to its meetings after persistent disruptions from pro-Palestinian protesters. Mayor Brenda Locke began Monday's meeting by announcing that the public would be allowed to attend meetings on city premises, but outside the gallery.

Surrey council restricts access over 'disruptive' pro-Palestine protests

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents
The New Democrat government says it's proposing changes to the Commercial Transport Act that currently prescribes fines for over-height vehicles of $500 to $598, levels that are unchanged for decades. Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the proposed changes are in response to 35 crashes involving over-height commercial vehicles since late 2021.

B.C. to hike commercial vehicle crash penalties after 35 over-height truck incidents