Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals devote $28M to beef up fight against stolen car exports on eve of summit

Liberals devote $28M to beef up fight against stolen car exports on eve of summit
The federal government is earmarking $28 million in new money to help fight the export of stolen vehicles. The Liberal government said Wednesday the money will give the Canada Border Services Agency more capacity to detect and search containers with pilfered autos.

Liberals devote $28M to beef up fight against stolen car exports on eve of summit

Singh threatens to end political pact

Singh threatens to end political pact
If the government doesn't make good on pharmacare legislation by March, that would kill the Liberal-NDP political pact, New Democrat Leader Jagmeet Singh said Wednesday. But he made it clear that any collapse in the deal, which is meant to hold off a federal election until next year, would be the Liberals' fault.

Singh threatens to end political pact

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids
B.C.'s government has ordered that flavoured nicotine pouches only be sold from behind pharmacy counters in the province in an effort to prevent youth from becoming addicted. The order signed by Health Minister Adrian Dix means buyers of the pouches, which contain up to four milligrams of nicotine, will have to consult a pharmacist.

B.C. moves flavoured nicotine pouches behind pharmacy counters to protect kids

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby
Premier David Eby says social media companies can't be let "off the hook" after two B.C. teens died by suicide shortly after falling victim to online sextortion scams. Eby's comments came one day after Surrey RCMP announced a man in Nigeria has been arrested and charged in one of those cases following a lengthy international investigation.

Social media firms can't be let 'off the hook' for deadly sextortion of kids: Eby

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board
High-risk B.C. sex offender Randall Hopley, who went on the run for 10 days in November, will still be allowed overnight community leave with the approval of his parole officer, after the parole board decided not to impose new restrictions. Premier David Eby says he "can't fathom" the ruling and it isn't acceptable that Hopley, who abducted a three-year-old boy in 2011, has been "released again with the same conditions."  

No new restrictions on B.C. sex offender Hopley, who went on run: parole board

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians
Gagan Ajit Singh, Anmoldeep Singh, Hashmeet Kaur, Iymanjot Kaur, and Arundeep Thind  have been charged with  mischief to property, threats, and firearms-related offences.  

Extortion Investigate Task Force arrests 5 South Asians