Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 11 Dec, 2024 11:11 AM
  • Tensions rising between Canada Post, union as strike nears four-week mark

Canada Post and the union representing postal workers are in a war of words as a countrywide strike is on its 27th day.

On Wednesday, Canada Post said the union's new demands are unaffordable and unsustainable, claiming they would cost more than $3 billion over four years at a time when the postal service is struggling financially. 

The statement came after Canada Post said Monday that the union's latest proposals widen the gap between the two parties, and that in some cases, the union has increased its demands. 

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers pushed back on Canada Post's criticism in a bulletin to members Tuesday evening, giving a list of proposals it said are meant to bring the two parties closer together.

The union said its latest proposals included wage increases lower than previously demanded, as well as a cost-of-living allowance and better job security. 

The strike by more than 55,000 workers is approaching the four-week mark with no end in sight. 

Federal mediation was put on pause two weeks ago, and calls for government intervention from the business community have so far been rebuffed. 

The union's latest wage demands total 19 per cent over four years. Canada Post said it recognizes this is a step lower than before but said its own recent proposal offered 11.5 per cent over four years. 

Canada Post also pushed back on other demands from the union, including reiterating its proposal to create new jobs to support an expansion into weekend delivery.

The proposed expansion has been a key sticking point in negotiations, with the two sides unable to come to an agreement over how to staff the weekend. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Man charged with multiple B & E's

Man charged with multiple B & E's
A man suspected of multiple break-and-enters last year and in 2022 has been charged with 27 counts in relation to the incidents. Burnaby Mounties say the 44-year-old is facing charges ranging from break-and-enter to possession of stolen property, including for the purpose of trafficking.

Man charged with multiple B & E's

3 year housing plan for Surrey

3 year housing plan for Surrey
The City of Surrey is launching a three-year plan to boost the number of new housing units to an average of more than four thousand per year. A statement from the City of Surrey says the plan is enabled by 96-million-dollars in federal funding.  

3 year housing plan for Surrey

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike
Coast Mountain Bus Company and the union representing its transit supervisors have both accepted the recommendations of a mediator in an agreement that looks set to avert another Metro Vancouver bus strike. A statement from the bus firm's president, Michael McDaniel, said the next step was to sign a memorandum of agreement before the contract ratification process.

Bus firm and union agree to mediator's plan to avert Metro Vancouver strike

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says
The federal government is lashing out at the U.S. Commerce Department over plans to raise duties on Canadian softwood lumber. International Trade Minister Mary Ng says the U.S. has signalled it intends to raise duties to 13.86 per cent, up from 8.05 per cent.  Ng calls the move disappointing and entirely unwarranted.

Increase in U.S. softwood lumber duties 'entirely unwarranted,' trade minister says

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'
The Sons of Freedom were a small faction within the Doukhobor community, an exiled Russian Christian group, and were once known for naked protests and periodically burning down their own homes as a rejection of materialism. In her formal apology Thursday, Attorney General Niki Sharma acknowledged the children were "mistreated both physically and psychologically." 

B.C. attorney general apologizes to Doukhobors, offers $10M 'compensation package'

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast
British Columbia's River Forecast Centre lifted a flood warning for the Lillooet and Squamish rivers, saying flows remain high but rainfall and snowmelt are tapering off.  A flood watch remains in effect for the Sproat and Somass rivers on Vancouver Island, while lower-level streamflow advisories cover the rest of the South Coast.

Evacuation alerts lifted as flood risk recedes across B.C.'s South Coast