Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

The Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 has hit 25 days

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Dec, 2024 11:30 AM
  • The Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 has hit 25 days

The Canada Post strike involving more than 55,000 workers has hit 25 days.

In a statement Sunday, Canada Post says it is awaiting a formal response from the Canadian Union of Postal Workers to the proposal it submitted to the union Friday.

In a Friday statement, the union said it was reviewing what Canada Post put forward and questioned when the mediation process will officially resume.

The union said it is committed to returning to the bargaining table.

The strike began Nov. 14, and federal mediation was put on hold nearly two weeks ago due to the sides being too far apart.

Calls for government intervention have been mounting from the business community, but so far the government has said it’s not stepping in.

The federal government has intervened in other high-profile labour disputes recently, including the ports, using a controversial section of the law to get the labour board to order binding arbitration.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes
British Columbia's seniors advocate is calling for the enforcement of tenancy laws to protect residents of retirement homes who he says face illegal rent increases and evictions. Dan Levitt says in a new report that some retirement homes claim the Residential Tenancy Act does not apply to their residents, or to mandatory fees for services including meals and housekeeping.

B.C. seniors advocate seeks tenancy protection for residents of retirement homes

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract
The union representing Canada's border workers says members have voted 91 per cent in favour of a new collective agreement. More than 9,000 Canada Border Services Agency workers were planning job action in June but the strike was averted when a tentative agreement was reached with the federal government.

Border workers who nearly went on strike in June ratify new contract

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30
Huberman is the longest serving President and CEO of the Surrey Board of Trade, having served for 18 years – unprecedented in the chamber of commerce/board of trade industry. During her 31 years with the organization, having served in a variety of roles, she has built the organization up from a struggling entity into one of the largest organizations of its kind in Canada.

Anita Huberman, CEO of Surrey Board of Trade announces she will leave on August 30

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election
Three provincial New Democrat ministers have announced they won't seek re-election in British Columbia's fall vote. Harry Bains, Bruce Ralston and Rob Fleming were all first elected in 2005 and have served five terms in the legislature, but say they will not stand on Oct. 19.

B.C. NDP ministers Bains, Ralston and Fleming won't seek re-election

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog
The parliamentary budget officer estimates that staffing up the new regulators in the Liberals' Online Harms Act will cost around $200 million over five years.  The federal government wants to establish a Digital Safety Commission to regulate social-media companies and force them to limit harmful content online. 

Creating proposed online harms regulators could cost $200 million: budget watchdog

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.
Infrastructure Canada says $19 million in upgrades to Vancouver's Science World will increase the facility's lifespan and reduce its energy consumption by more than 40 per cent. The federal government says the money will go toward repairing Science World's geodesic dome, the building envelope, and fixes to its heating, electrical and ventilation systems. 

Federal government announces $19M for Science World upgrades in B.C.