Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands In British Columbia Facing More Days Without Power: BC Hydro

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM

    VANCOUVER — Crews continue to repair fallen transformers and restring hydro lines after last week's powerful windstorm in southwestern British Columbia, but officials say some customers will remain without power for several more days.


    BC Hydro said it has restored power to more than 550,000 customers since the windstorm hit Thursday and about 44,000 customers were still waiting on Sunday.


    Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said emergency operations centres have been activated in affected areas and warming centres have been opened in many communities.


    "I would ask all British Columbians in affected areas to ensure that they have supplies and plans in place to remain safe during this incident, and to please check in on neighbours, particularly those in a vulnerable situation," Farnworth said in a statement.


    Farnworth reminded members of the public to stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines, which should be considered live. It's also important to use generators safely and never use portable generators, outdoor barbecues or camp stoves indoors, he said.


    "I know that an extended power outage during the holiday season presents particular challenges for many. I want to ensure British Columbians that our government will continue to support BC Hydro as it works to safely restore power as quickly as possible," Farnworth said.


    BC Hydro has described the storm as one of the worst it has seen in 20 years. RCMP said it killed one woman in Duncan when a tree fell on her tent, while the storm also caused Nanaimo's water treatment plant to break down and destroyed a 30-metre section of White Rock's pier.


    Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands were among the hardest hit areas and hundreds of downed trees have left some roads impassable, which means BC Hydro has not been able to complete full damage assessments.


    About 4,000 of its customers waiting for power are in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley, and BC Hydro said it could take another three days before power is restored to rural areas.


    Chris O'Riley, president and chief operations officer for BC Hydro, said Sunday the utility is hopeful that power will be restored to affected customers on the Lower Mainland by the end of the day on Monday. But Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands will take more time, especially as crews deal with more remote, individual outages.


    "Based on reports that are coming back from our field crews and the images you're sharing with us, we know that a number of communities are facing significant damage. We know how difficult prolonged outages can be," O'Riley said in a video statement.


    On Sunday, 81 line crews were tackling Vancouver Island, many of whom travelled from other parts of the province to help out, he said.


    "On behalf of BC Hydro, we appreciate your continued support and your continued patience," O'Riley said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Investigating Five Alleged Sexual Assaults At Spas In Surrey, B.C.

    Police have issued a public advisory about a string of alleged sexual assaults at beauty spas in Surrey, B.C.

    Police Investigating Five Alleged Sexual Assaults At Spas In Surrey, B.C.

    Driver, Passenger Arrested After March Pedestrian Hit-And-Run In Surrey

    Driver, Passenger Arrested After March Pedestrian Hit-And-Run In Surrey
    With help from the public, Surrey RCMP has identified the driver allegedly involved in a pedestrian hit and run which occurred on March 18, 2018. 

    Driver, Passenger Arrested After March Pedestrian Hit-And-Run In Surrey

    Anthony Trevelyan Charged In Alleged Sexual Assault In Surrey’s City Centre Area

    Anthony Trevelyan Charged In Alleged Sexual Assault In Surrey’s City Centre Area
    Surrey RCMP advises that a suspect has now been charged following an alleged sexual assault that occurred on April 5, 2018.

    Anthony Trevelyan Charged In Alleged Sexual Assault In Surrey’s City Centre Area

    Quebec Teen Suspended For Donning Sports Jersey In Support Of Humboldt Victims

    Quebec Teen Suspended For Donning Sports Jersey In Support Of Humboldt Victims
    A Quebec high school student who wore a jersey to school to show support for the victims of the crash involving the Humboldt Broncos says he was kicked out of class for his gesture.

    Quebec Teen Suspended For Donning Sports Jersey In Support Of Humboldt Victims

    Victoria Police Officer Const. Ian Jordan Dies After Lying In A Coma Since 1987

    Victoria Police Officer Const. Ian Jordan Dies After Lying In A Coma Since 1987
    Victoria police Const. Ian Jordan died in hospital Wednesday after spending 30 years in a coma caused by his cruiser crashing into another police vehicle racing towards same call. 

    Victoria Police Officer Const. Ian Jordan Dies After Lying In A Coma Since 1987

    More Than A Dozen Canadians Charged In Global Child Sex Abuse Investigation

    More Than A Dozen Canadians Charged In Global Child Sex Abuse Investigation
    TORONTO — A sweeping global child exploitation investigation has led to more than 150 arrests around the world and either charges or convictions against 16 Canadians, Toronto police said Thursday.

    More Than A Dozen Canadians Charged In Global Child Sex Abuse Investigation