Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands In British Columbia Facing More Days Without Power: BC Hydro

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM

    VANCOUVER — Crews continue to repair fallen transformers and restring hydro lines after last week's powerful windstorm in southwestern British Columbia, but officials say some customers will remain without power for several more days.


    BC Hydro said it has restored power to more than 550,000 customers since the windstorm hit Thursday and about 44,000 customers were still waiting on Sunday.


    Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said emergency operations centres have been activated in affected areas and warming centres have been opened in many communities.


    "I would ask all British Columbians in affected areas to ensure that they have supplies and plans in place to remain safe during this incident, and to please check in on neighbours, particularly those in a vulnerable situation," Farnworth said in a statement.


    Farnworth reminded members of the public to stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines, which should be considered live. It's also important to use generators safely and never use portable generators, outdoor barbecues or camp stoves indoors, he said.


    "I know that an extended power outage during the holiday season presents particular challenges for many. I want to ensure British Columbians that our government will continue to support BC Hydro as it works to safely restore power as quickly as possible," Farnworth said.


    BC Hydro has described the storm as one of the worst it has seen in 20 years. RCMP said it killed one woman in Duncan when a tree fell on her tent, while the storm also caused Nanaimo's water treatment plant to break down and destroyed a 30-metre section of White Rock's pier.


    Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands were among the hardest hit areas and hundreds of downed trees have left some roads impassable, which means BC Hydro has not been able to complete full damage assessments.


    About 4,000 of its customers waiting for power are in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley, and BC Hydro said it could take another three days before power is restored to rural areas.


    Chris O'Riley, president and chief operations officer for BC Hydro, said Sunday the utility is hopeful that power will be restored to affected customers on the Lower Mainland by the end of the day on Monday. But Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands will take more time, especially as crews deal with more remote, individual outages.


    "Based on reports that are coming back from our field crews and the images you're sharing with us, we know that a number of communities are facing significant damage. We know how difficult prolonged outages can be," O'Riley said in a video statement.


    On Sunday, 81 line crews were tackling Vancouver Island, many of whom travelled from other parts of the province to help out, he said.


    "On behalf of BC Hydro, we appreciate your continued support and your continued patience," O'Riley said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Approaching Monsoon Season Sparks Concerns For Refugees In Bangladesh

    Approaching Monsoon Season Sparks Concerns For Refugees In Bangladesh
    International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says aid organizations are already overwhelmed by the massive influx of Muslim-minority refugees from neighbouring Myanmar.

    Approaching Monsoon Season Sparks Concerns For Refugees In Bangladesh

    Tooba Yahya, Mother In Shafia Murder Case, Has Permanent Resident Status Revoked

    Tooba Yahya, Mother In Shafia Murder Case, Has Permanent Resident Status Revoked
    MONTREAL — A woman found guilty of murdering her three daughters in a so-called honour killing was stripped of her permanent residency Thursday and ordered deported from the country.

    Tooba Yahya, Mother In Shafia Murder Case, Has Permanent Resident Status Revoked

    Alberta Family Murdered And Burned: Four Years Later, Friends Still Wonder Why

    Alberta Family Murdered And Burned: Four Years Later, Friends Still Wonder Why
    CASTOR, Alta. — More than four years after three members of a central Alberta family were murdered, the biggest question still remains unanswered for their friends — why?

    Alberta Family Murdered And Burned: Four Years Later, Friends Still Wonder Why

    Man Who Pledged Millions To B.C. Hockey Team Sentenced On Unrelated Fraud Charge

    Man Who Pledged Millions To B.C. Hockey Team Sentenced On Unrelated Fraud Charge
    A man who promised millions of dollars to a junior hockey team in southeastern British Columbia has been placed on six months of probation after pleading guilty to an unrelated fraud charge.

    Man Who Pledged Millions To B.C. Hockey Team Sentenced On Unrelated Fraud Charge

    Jagmeet Singh Says Canada Should Declare Anti-Sikh Violence In 1984 A Genocide

    Jagmeet Singh Says Canada Should Declare Anti-Sikh Violence In 1984 A Genocide
    NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh says Canada should declare that the anti-Sikh violence that took place in India more than three decades ago was a genocide.

    Jagmeet Singh Says Canada Should Declare Anti-Sikh Violence In 1984 A Genocide

    Jagmeet Singh Now Being Linked To Famous Rapper

    According to a report published in the website of the daily Toronto Sun, Jagmeet Singh has personal ties with rapper Chani Natt, who is known to glorify violence and promote an independent state of Khalistan.

    Jagmeet Singh Now Being Linked To Famous Rapper