Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands In British Columbia Facing More Days Without Power: BC Hydro

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 24 Dec, 2018 07:08 AM

    VANCOUVER — Crews continue to repair fallen transformers and restring hydro lines after last week's powerful windstorm in southwestern British Columbia, but officials say some customers will remain without power for several more days.


    BC Hydro said it has restored power to more than 550,000 customers since the windstorm hit Thursday and about 44,000 customers were still waiting on Sunday.


    Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said emergency operations centres have been activated in affected areas and warming centres have been opened in many communities.


    "I would ask all British Columbians in affected areas to ensure that they have supplies and plans in place to remain safe during this incident, and to please check in on neighbours, particularly those in a vulnerable situation," Farnworth said in a statement.


    Farnworth reminded members of the public to stay at least 10 metres away from downed power lines, which should be considered live. It's also important to use generators safely and never use portable generators, outdoor barbecues or camp stoves indoors, he said.


    "I know that an extended power outage during the holiday season presents particular challenges for many. I want to ensure British Columbians that our government will continue to support BC Hydro as it works to safely restore power as quickly as possible," Farnworth said.


    BC Hydro has described the storm as one of the worst it has seen in 20 years. RCMP said it killed one woman in Duncan when a tree fell on her tent, while the storm also caused Nanaimo's water treatment plant to break down and destroyed a 30-metre section of White Rock's pier.


    Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands were among the hardest hit areas and hundreds of downed trees have left some roads impassable, which means BC Hydro has not been able to complete full damage assessments.


    About 4,000 of its customers waiting for power are in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley, and BC Hydro said it could take another three days before power is restored to rural areas.


    Chris O'Riley, president and chief operations officer for BC Hydro, said Sunday the utility is hopeful that power will be restored to affected customers on the Lower Mainland by the end of the day on Monday. But Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands will take more time, especially as crews deal with more remote, individual outages.


    "Based on reports that are coming back from our field crews and the images you're sharing with us, we know that a number of communities are facing significant damage. We know how difficult prolonged outages can be," O'Riley said in a video statement.


    On Sunday, 81 line crews were tackling Vancouver Island, many of whom travelled from other parts of the province to help out, he said.


    "On behalf of BC Hydro, we appreciate your continued support and your continued patience," O'Riley said.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Canadian Program Providing Alcohol To Heavy Drinkers Envied By Scotland

    Canadian Program Providing Alcohol To Heavy Drinkers Envied By Scotland
    VANCOUVER — A radical treatment that provides daily doses of alcohol to people struggling with problem drinking in several Canadian cities is getting attention from other countries wanting to emulate its success.

    Canadian Program Providing Alcohol To Heavy Drinkers Envied By Scotland

    B.C. College Of Midwives Takes Court Action To Ban Use Of Term 'Death Midwife'

    The college has filed legal action in B.C. Supreme Court in an attempt to halt Pashta Marymoon and Patricia Keith from calling themselves "death midwives" while providing services to the dying and their families.

    B.C. College Of Midwives Takes Court Action To Ban Use Of Term 'Death Midwife'

    Thirty-One Instant Millionaires: N.L. Co-Workers Presented With $60M Cheque

    Thirty-One Instant Millionaires: N.L. Co-Workers Presented With $60M Cheque
    ST. JOHN'S, N.L. — More than 30 Newfoundland construction workers became instant millionaires today when the Atlantic Lottery Corp. handed them a cheque worth a whopping $60 million.

    Thirty-One Instant Millionaires: N.L. Co-Workers Presented With $60M Cheque

    Manitoba NDP Appoints 2 Women To Lead Probe Into Sex Harassment, Misconduct

    Manitoba NDP Appoints 2 Women To Lead Probe Into Sex Harassment, Misconduct
    The Manitoba NDP has appointed two women as commissioners to investigate reports of sexual harassment and misconduct from staff and elected officials.

    Manitoba NDP Appoints 2 Women To Lead Probe Into Sex Harassment, Misconduct

    Boys To Men: Calgary Lecture Series Examines Masculinity In #MeToo movement

    Boys To Men: Calgary Lecture Series Examines Masculinity In #MeToo movement
    CALGARY — A Calgary professor of masculinity studies says the #MeToo movement has created a chance to talk about how boys learn to be men.

    Boys To Men: Calgary Lecture Series Examines Masculinity In #MeToo movement

    Police In Lower Mainland Issue A Warning About Disturbing Phone Calls To Women

    Police In Lower Mainland Issue A Warning About Disturbing Phone Calls To Women
    RCMP say a male caller accurately identifies the woman's name and address and claims he has been watching her through cameras allegedly installed inside her home.

    Police In Lower Mainland Issue A Warning About Disturbing Phone Calls To Women