Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:47 AM
  • Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Education support workers began gathering under pitch-black pre-dawn skies in Edmonton and some nearby communities as a strike got underway. 

The workers, bundled in coats and scarves and gripping signs, are calling for what they term fair wages from the Edmonton Public School Board and Sturgeon Public School Division. 

School support workers include education assistants, cafeteria workers and administration staff.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees says some 3,000 staff are off the job in Edmonton and in the Sturgeon division, just north of the provincial capital, another 200 workers are taking rotating strike action and working to rule. 

Picket lines have gone up outside three Edmonton high schools and all Sturgeon high schools. 

Among the dozens outside Ross Sheppard High School in northwest Edmonton was longtime education assistant Fran Robertson, who says support for her profession has dwindled over the last nine years and she hopes the government will boost funding.

CUPE Local 3550 president Mandy Lameroux says her members haven’t had a contract since 2020 and the average education support worker in Alberta earns $34,500 per year.

Finance Minister Nate Horner has accused CUPE of being misleading and says no one should expect a full-time salary for 10 months of part-time work, comments that the Opposition NDP has called insulting. 

The superintendents of both divisions have said each school will be affected differently and that parents should keep in touch with their school's principal.

MORE National ARTICLES

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia
Canada needs to keep up its presence in Southeast Asia if it wants to benefit from the region's economic boom, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday as he wrapped up his visit to Laos. Trudeau participated in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations Summit this week, marking the third consecutive time he's attended the annual meeting.

As ASEAN Summit wraps, Trudeau says Canada needs to keep showing up in Southeast Asia

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray
Seven Vancouver police officers involved in the beating death of Myles Gray nine years ago have been cleared of wrongdoing by a police discipline authority. The Office of the Police Complaints Commissioner said it was reviewing the decision over the 2015 death of Gray, which was classified as a homicide by a coroner's inquest last year.

Police probe clears seven Vancouver officers in beating death of Myles Gray

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September
Statistics Canada reported on Friday that the economy added 47,000 jobs in September, while the unemployment rate declined for the first time since January to 6.5 per cent. The overall job gains followed four consecutive months of little change, the agency said.

'Break in the cooling trend': Jobs report tops economists' expectations in September

Man charged in shooting

Man charged in shooting
Vancouver police say a 28-year-old man has been charged in the shooting death of a man in the Downtown Eastside. Officers say they responded to a call on August 29th after a 43-year-old man was shot and the victim died at the scene. 

Man charged in shooting

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing
A Surrey man has been handed a ten-year sentence for a triple stabbing in 2020 that killed his sister-in-law and left his niece and elderly father seriously injured.  The man was convicted of one count of manslaughter and two counts of aggravated assault. 

Man gets 10 year sentence in triple stabbing

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict
Global Affairs Canada says it's aware of reports of the death of a Canadian in Lebanon. The department says officials are in contact with the person's family to offer assistance.

Another Canadian reportedly dead in Lebanon amid escalating Israel-Hezbollah conflict