Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:47 AM
  • Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Education support workers began gathering under pitch-black pre-dawn skies in Edmonton and some nearby communities as a strike got underway. 

The workers, bundled in coats and scarves and gripping signs, are calling for what they term fair wages from the Edmonton Public School Board and Sturgeon Public School Division. 

School support workers include education assistants, cafeteria workers and administration staff.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees says some 3,000 staff are off the job in Edmonton and in the Sturgeon division, just north of the provincial capital, another 200 workers are taking rotating strike action and working to rule. 

Picket lines have gone up outside three Edmonton high schools and all Sturgeon high schools. 

Among the dozens outside Ross Sheppard High School in northwest Edmonton was longtime education assistant Fran Robertson, who says support for her profession has dwindled over the last nine years and she hopes the government will boost funding.

CUPE Local 3550 president Mandy Lameroux says her members haven’t had a contract since 2020 and the average education support worker in Alberta earns $34,500 per year.

Finance Minister Nate Horner has accused CUPE of being misleading and says no one should expect a full-time salary for 10 months of part-time work, comments that the Opposition NDP has called insulting. 

The superintendents of both divisions have said each school will be affected differently and that parents should keep in touch with their school's principal.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.
Court documents filed in the case of a Pakistani man arrested in Quebec for an alleged plot to kill Jews in New York City reveal the RCMP didn't have enough evidence to hold him in Canada. The RCMP arrested Muhammad Shahzeb Khan on Sept. 4 in Ormstown, Que., as he allegedly prepared to cross the nearby border into the United States.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

C-T scanners at Canadian airports
C-T scanners are being put to use at Canada's airports for security screening, meaning travellers can soon leave their liquids, medical devices and large electronics in their carry-ons.  The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority made the announcement in Vancouver today, where the first installation of the new technology is in place. 

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash
No one was seriously hurt when four trucks were involved in a crash on Highway 97 near Prince George. Police say it happened yesterday near the Davie East Forest Service Road. 

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry
A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference.  Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits
The Liberal government will slash the number of internationalstudent visas it processes by another 10 per cent. The government says the new target for 2025 and 2026 will be 437,000 permits. In 2024 the target was 485,000 permits.

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits