Sunday, February 15, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:47 AM
  • Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Education support workers began gathering under pitch-black pre-dawn skies in Edmonton and some nearby communities as a strike got underway. 

The workers, bundled in coats and scarves and gripping signs, are calling for what they term fair wages from the Edmonton Public School Board and Sturgeon Public School Division. 

School support workers include education assistants, cafeteria workers and administration staff.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees says some 3,000 staff are off the job in Edmonton and in the Sturgeon division, just north of the provincial capital, another 200 workers are taking rotating strike action and working to rule. 

Picket lines have gone up outside three Edmonton high schools and all Sturgeon high schools. 

Among the dozens outside Ross Sheppard High School in northwest Edmonton was longtime education assistant Fran Robertson, who says support for her profession has dwindled over the last nine years and she hopes the government will boost funding.

CUPE Local 3550 president Mandy Lameroux says her members haven’t had a contract since 2020 and the average education support worker in Alberta earns $34,500 per year.

Finance Minister Nate Horner has accused CUPE of being misleading and says no one should expect a full-time salary for 10 months of part-time work, comments that the Opposition NDP has called insulting. 

The superintendents of both divisions have said each school will be affected differently and that parents should keep in touch with their school's principal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured
The Calgary Fire Department says investigators are working to find out what caused a townhouse explosion in the city's southeast that injured four people.  Crews were called Thursday afternoon to the Mahogany neighbourhood and, while en route, they saw flames and a large plume of smoke from several blocks away. 

Explosion destroys Calgary townhouse, four people injured

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'
The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent. The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark
BC Hydro is warning customers in remote areas of Vancouver Island that they may be without power until late Saturday, as winds from another powerful storm hit the coast. The latest in a series of fall storms has brought gusts up to 100 km/h but Environment Canada says it isn't as strong as the bomb cyclone that knocked out power to more than 300,000 properties this week.

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family
Jurors began deliberations Friday in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling across the Canada-U.S. border between Manitoba and Minnesota. They are tasked with deciding whether to convict or acquit Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel on four charges.

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week
Canada Post saw hundreds of millions of dollars drain out of its coffers last quarter, due largely to its dwindling share of the parcels market — while an ongoing strike continues to batter its bottom line. The Crown corporation said Friday it lost $315 million before tax in the third quarter, larger than its $290 million loss a year earlier.

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease
A new case of chronic wasting disease, an incurable illness that has the potential to decimate deer populations, has been identified in British Columbia. The B.C. Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship said the discovery of the infection in a white-tailed deer hunted in the Kootenay region last month brought the total number of confirmed cases in the province to three, after two cases were confirmed in February. 

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease