Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 13 Jan, 2025 10:47 AM
  • Thousands of school support workers off the job in Edmonton, nearby communities

Education support workers began gathering under pitch-black pre-dawn skies in Edmonton and some nearby communities as a strike got underway. 

The workers, bundled in coats and scarves and gripping signs, are calling for what they term fair wages from the Edmonton Public School Board and Sturgeon Public School Division. 

School support workers include education assistants, cafeteria workers and administration staff.

The Canadian Union of Public Employees says some 3,000 staff are off the job in Edmonton and in the Sturgeon division, just north of the provincial capital, another 200 workers are taking rotating strike action and working to rule. 

Picket lines have gone up outside three Edmonton high schools and all Sturgeon high schools. 

Among the dozens outside Ross Sheppard High School in northwest Edmonton was longtime education assistant Fran Robertson, who says support for her profession has dwindled over the last nine years and she hopes the government will boost funding.

CUPE Local 3550 president Mandy Lameroux says her members haven’t had a contract since 2020 and the average education support worker in Alberta earns $34,500 per year.

Finance Minister Nate Horner has accused CUPE of being misleading and says no one should expect a full-time salary for 10 months of part-time work, comments that the Opposition NDP has called insulting. 

The superintendents of both divisions have said each school will be affected differently and that parents should keep in touch with their school's principal.

MORE National ARTICLES

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds
A test for Canada's emergency alert system is set to take place just as British Columbia cleans up from a so-called "bomb cyclone" weather system that cut power and battered parts of the coast with hurricane-force winds. The national alert system is typically tested twice a year, with the next test set to take place today at 1:55 p.m. Pacific time.

Emergency alert test coming as B.C. mops up from 'bomb cyclone' with high winds

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order
The union representing port supervisors in British Columbia is formally challenging the legal and constitutional authority of the federal labour minister to order them back to work. In a legal document dated Tuesday, International Longshore and Warehouse Union Local 514 says it's questioning whether the order issued by Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon last week violates the right to collective bargaining and the right to strike.

B.C. port union challenges constitutionality of labour minister's back-to-work order

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees
A significant increase in the number of refugees and asylum seekers in Canada has prompted some cities to start building temporary housing for new arrivals. The city of Ottawa is working to establish what's known as a sprung structure that serves as both a temporary shelter and a centre to provide settlement services such as language training and employment assistance. 

Some Canadian cities building temporary housing facilities to accommodate refugees

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border
The trial of two men accused of human smuggling is getting a look at messages the prosecution says prove the pair conspired to sneak people across the Canada-United States border. Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel have pleaded not guilty to charges of organizing several illegal crossings of Indian nationals from Manitoba to Minnesota in late 2021 and early 2022.

Trial sees texts between men accused in migrants' deaths by Manitoba-Minnesota border

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll
Polling firm Leger found 63 per cent of respondents to a new survey were in favour of the Liberal government's move to step in and ask the Canada Industrial Relations Board to order a resumption of port operations and move negotiations into binding arbitration. Nineteen per cent were opposed, and another 19 per cent said they didn't know.

Canadians favour government intervention in Canada Post, port labour disputes: poll

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power
Hurricane-force winds of up to 170 km/h have slammed into parts of the British Columbia coast as a massive storm swirling off Vancouver Island severed highways and cut power to more than 200,000 people overnight. Winds from the bomb cyclone weather system exceeded 100 km/h in multiple areas late Tuesday, with gusts approaching 80 km/h at Vancouver's airport.

Bomb cyclone batters B.C. with hurricane-force winds, cutting roads and power