Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:45 AM
  • Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Police have confirmed that the threat of an explosive device was the reason for the evacuation of a large area around the New Westminster courthouse including nearby Douglas College.

They say officers were made aware of the threat on Tuesday morning, and people were asked to leave the area "out of an abundance of caution."

Videos posted to social media showed hundreds of people near the college leaving the area, though the reason was not publicly disclosed at the time.

Police say in a news release that portions of the surrounding roads were closed for several hours, but nothing suspicious was found. 

Douglas College also cancelled all in-person classes, activities and events while the search was underway.

The area was reopened about three hours after the evacuation was announced, but police say their investigation is ongoing and they are asking anyone with information to come forward. 

MORE National ARTICLES

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville
The pilot of a single-engine plane that crashed near downtown Nashville told air traffic controllers he could see the runway they were clearing for an emergency landing. But he said he couldn’t reach it. The pilot had another adult and three children on board, National Transportation Safety Board investigator Aaron McCarter said at a Tuesday news conference. He said the five were Canadian citizens and the agency is working with the Canadian government to determine their identities. 

'I'm too far away': Five Canadians dead in plane that crashed near downtown Nashville

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender
Vancouver police say a high-risk sex offender who was serving a five-year long-term supervision order was rearrested last week. Police had issued a public warning on February 26th that Skylar Wayne Pelletier had been released from custody and was living in Vancouver. The 24-year-old was previously convicted of sexual assault, assault, and break and enter.

Re-arrest for Vancouver sex offender

Grandparent scam in Kelowna

Grandparent scam in Kelowna
Kelowna RCMP say they are looking for a woman who's involved in a recent scam targeting the elderly. Police say the suspect reportedly took money from an elderly woman after someone pretending to be an officer called the victim about her grandson being arrested and needing to pay a bond.

Grandparent scam in Kelowna

B.C.'s securities watchdog fined rule breakers $430M. Why can't it make them pay?

B.C.'s securities watchdog fined rule breakers $430M. Why can't it make them pay?
Thalbinder Singh Poonian and Shailu Poonian claim they'll be in debt to the commission "likely for life," owing about $19 million after being found to have engaged in market manipulation of a company's stock in 2015. The commission ruled the couple boosted the price of OSE Corp. on the Toronto Stock Exchange by trading among themselves, relatives, friends and acquaintances, then sold the shares at the inflated prices to unsuspecting buyers.

B.C.'s securities watchdog fined rule breakers $430M. Why can't it make them pay?

State funeral for former prime minister Mulroney to be held in Montreal March 23

State funeral for former prime minister Mulroney to be held in Montreal March 23
A state funeral for former prime minister Brian Mulroney will be held on March 23 in Montreal. Mulroney died Feb. 29 at a Florida hospital following a recent fall at his Palm Beach home. He was 84. Parliamentarians are expected to pay tribute to Canada's 18th prime minister in the House of Commons when MPs return to Ottawa on March 18 after a two-week break.

State funeral for former prime minister Mulroney to be held in Montreal March 23

Man arrested in Port Moody after driving car into sea for video livestream

Man arrested in Port Moody after driving car into sea for video livestream
Police in Port Moody, B.C., say a man may be charged after he allegedly drove his vehicle into the sea as part of a livestreamed video. Const. Sam Zacharias says in a release that officers were called to the Rocky Point boat launch in the city at around 10 p.m. Monday.

Man arrested in Port Moody after driving car into sea for video livestream