Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:45 AM
  • Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Police have confirmed that the threat of an explosive device was the reason for the evacuation of a large area around the New Westminster courthouse including nearby Douglas College.

They say officers were made aware of the threat on Tuesday morning, and people were asked to leave the area "out of an abundance of caution."

Videos posted to social media showed hundreds of people near the college leaving the area, though the reason was not publicly disclosed at the time.

Police say in a news release that portions of the surrounding roads were closed for several hours, but nothing suspicious was found. 

Douglas College also cancelled all in-person classes, activities and events while the search was underway.

The area was reopened about three hours after the evacuation was announced, but police say their investigation is ongoing and they are asking anyone with information to come forward. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey
On December 7, 2022, at 9:22 p.m. the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing in the 12700-block of 66 Avenue, Surrey. Officers attended and found a 40-year old woman, later identified as Harpreet Kaur Gill, in medical distress, resulting from multiple stab wounds.

Navinder Gill sentenced to life in prison for December 2022 homicide of Harpreet Kaur Gill in Surrey

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large
RCMP say a 45-year-old woman was killed while officers chased a man fleeing in a vehicle late Saturday night just outside of Edmonton. Supt. Leanne MacMillian says Beaumont RCMP located the suspect in a parked truck at a local business in Beaumont, about 25 kilometres south of Edmonton.

Woman, 45, killed in hit-and-run, RCMP say suspect still at large

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 
Surrey RCMP is requesting the public’s assistance in locating a missing female. Kaur is described as a 28 year old south Asian female, 5’5”, 125 lbs, with black long hair and brown eyes. Police and family are concerned for her health and well-being.

Surrey RCMP need the public’s assistance in locating missing woman Navdeep Kaur. 

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds
The federal government is committing an additional $15 million over three years to fight the rise in vehicle thefts across the country. Minister of Public Safety Dominic LeBlanc made the announcement today in Montreal.

$15 million to combat car thefts: Feds

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say
Police in Vancouver say a 37-year-old man has been charged over accusations he robbed a blind, homeless man of his cane earlier this week. They say the victim is a 40-year-old newcomer to Canada who is legally blind and has been sleeping in shelters for the past few weeks.

Man arrested for robbing blind, homeless man in Vancouver, police say

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says
British Columbia Finance Minister Katrine Conroy says the budget she tables on Thursday will protect services and won't  raise taxes for ordinary residents, but she also forecasts an increased deficit because "it's the right thing to do."  The minister says the time is not right for the NDP government to bring cuts when most people are facing rising costs for housing, food and other daily staples.

No cuts to people or services, but B.C. budget deficit to rise, finance minister says