Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Jan, 2025 11:45 AM
  • Threat of explosive device at B.C. courthouse

Police have confirmed that the threat of an explosive device was the reason for the evacuation of a large area around the New Westminster courthouse including nearby Douglas College.

They say officers were made aware of the threat on Tuesday morning, and people were asked to leave the area "out of an abundance of caution."

Videos posted to social media showed hundreds of people near the college leaving the area, though the reason was not publicly disclosed at the time.

Police say in a news release that portions of the surrounding roads were closed for several hours, but nothing suspicious was found. 

Douglas College also cancelled all in-person classes, activities and events while the search was underway.

The area was reopened about three hours after the evacuation was announced, but police say their investigation is ongoing and they are asking anyone with information to come forward. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside
One person was left with burns on their hands after a vehicle fire in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside. Officials say there was heavy fire coming from the vehicle when crews arrived just before 10 a-m at Powell Street and Gore Avenue.

Vehicle fire in Downtown Eastside

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week
Passenger levels at Vancouver International Airport are expected to be almost completely recovered to pre-pandemic levels over the next week. Y-V-R officials say the airport is expecting an average of 60-thousand-177 passengers per day this week, with a total reaching 421-thousand.

Passenger levels at YVR to hit pre-pandemic levels in the coming week

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors
A North Vancouver man has pleaded guilty to one count of theft after an investigation found he stole more than one-million-dollars from nine investors. A statement from B-C Securities Commission says the 55-year-old man was arrested in October 2022 and remains on bail, entering the guilty plea last week with sentencing scheduled for early May.

Man steals over 1M from 9 investors

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George
Cameron Stolz is the new owner of the 108-year-old Prince George Citizen after buying the paper from Glacier Media. Stolz, a businessman who owns a toy and comics store, said he entered talks to buy the weekly newspaper last November after outlets in Fort St. John and Dawson Creek closed, followed soon after by the newspaper in Kamloops.

108-year-old newspaper buyout in Prince George

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups
British Columbia's Post-Secondary Education Minister Selina Robinson is stepping down over her remarks that modern Israel was founded on "a crappy piece of land," after her repeated apologies failed to quell the outcry from pro-Palestinian groups and others. Premier David Eby said Robinson's "belittling" remarks were incompatible with her remaining in cabinet, although she will stay in the NDP caucus.

B.C. minister Robinson stepping down over remarks that angered pro-Palestinian groups

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital
On Friday, just after 1:30pm, Surrey RCMP received a report of shots fired in the 8400 block of 120 Street.  Frontline officers attended the scene and located a man who appeared to be suffering from gunshot wounds. The victim was transported to hospital with serious injuries.

Surrey afternoon shooting lands 1 in hospital