Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:48 AM
  • Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Police in Surrey, B.C., arrested three men on Sunday after early morning gunfire at a home, believed to be yet another example of extortion-related shootings that have plagued the city in recent months. 

The Surrey Police Service said officers were on patrol in the city's Crescent Beach neighbourhood just before 4 a.m. when a call came in about a shooting and small fire outside a home near 132 Street and Crescent Road. 

The police service said members from the Lower Mainland police dog service and Delta Police also responded. Officers located a suspect vehicle driving in the area, and the people in it fled on foot. Three suspects were arrested a short time later after getting into a ride-share vehicle, police said. 

Police said the fire was put out by Surrey firefighters. It didn't damage the home, which had people inside who were uninjured, but the home did get hit by gunfire. 

The service said its major crime section is investigating whether the three men are linked to the shooting, but they have not been charged and police did not name the suspects.

"This incident is believed to be related to extortions," police said in a news release.

The Surrey Police Service said the officers involved were part of Project Assurance, which involves proactive patrols of neighbourhoods that have been targeted by an ongoing rash of extortion-related shootings in the city. 

The latest arrests come less than a week after Surrey police arrested two foreign nationals under similar circumstances. 

Police said last week that members patrolling the area of 129 Street and 84 Ave. on Jan. 26 heard a gunshot around 3:50 a.m. and stopped a vehicle where they alleged they found a loaded handgun. 

They arrested 20-year-old Harshdeep Singh and 21-year-old Hanspreet Singh, who now face charges of occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm is present.

Harshdeep Singh has also been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, police said. 

The two men, police said, are foreign nationals and the Surrey Police Service said it had notified the Canada Border Services Agency.  

The Surrey Police Service said the city began seeing "a spike in extortion threats and associated violence" in June 2025, and in addition to active patrols, the service now has a dedicated extortion tip line, with 15 of the service's officers also assigned to the BC Extortion Task Force. 

The City of Surrey has also put up a $250,000 reward fund for people who provide "key information" about extortions in the city, which has Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke urging the federal government to declare a national state of emergency. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rich Lam

MORE National ARTICLES

Complainant in hockey players' sex assault trial is not credible, defence argues

Complainant in hockey players' sex assault trial is not credible, defence argues
A woman accusing five hockey players of sexual assault made up a false narrative because she didn't want to take responsibility for her decisions that night, a defence lawyer for one of the players argued as final submissions in the case began Monday.

Complainant in hockey players' sex assault trial is not credible, defence argues

Safety institute announces research projects as global focus shifts to AI adoption

Safety institute announces research projects as global focus shifts to AI adoption
The Canadian Artificial Intelligence Safety Institute will fund research projects focusing on misinformation, generative AI and the safety of autonomous systems.

Safety institute announces research projects as global focus shifts to AI adoption

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case
A provincial court judge has ruled that the guilty verdict stands for an RCMP officer convicted of obstruction of justice in the case of an Indigenous man who died in police custody in 2017, clearing the way for sentencing.

Judge upholds obstruction conviction for B.C. Mountie in Dale Culver case

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act
Transparency advocates say a coming federal review of the Access to Information Act should be overseen by an independent panel, not the government, to avoid the pitfalls of the last such exercise.

Transparency advocates call for independent review of Access to Information Act

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year
Quebec's immigration minister says the government will drop its permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 people per year, and keep them low until Ottawa agrees to slash the number of temporary residents in the province by half.

Quebec says it will drop permanent immigration targets to as low as 25,000 per year

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal
A man previously convicted of supporting al-Qaida has been charged after allegedly threatening an attack in Montreal. 

Man with al-Qaida links charged with threatening attack in Montreal