Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:48 AM
  • Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Police in Surrey, B.C., arrested three men on Sunday after early morning gunfire at a home, believed to be yet another example of extortion-related shootings that have plagued the city in recent months. 

The Surrey Police Service said officers were on patrol in the city's Crescent Beach neighbourhood just before 4 a.m. when a call came in about a shooting and small fire outside a home near 132 Street and Crescent Road. 

The police service said members from the Lower Mainland police dog service and Delta Police also responded. Officers located a suspect vehicle driving in the area, and the people in it fled on foot. Three suspects were arrested a short time later after getting into a ride-share vehicle, police said. 

Police said the fire was put out by Surrey firefighters. It didn't damage the home, which had people inside who were uninjured, but the home did get hit by gunfire. 

The service said its major crime section is investigating whether the three men are linked to the shooting, but they have not been charged and police did not name the suspects.

"This incident is believed to be related to extortions," police said in a news release.

The Surrey Police Service said the officers involved were part of Project Assurance, which involves proactive patrols of neighbourhoods that have been targeted by an ongoing rash of extortion-related shootings in the city. 

The latest arrests come less than a week after Surrey police arrested two foreign nationals under similar circumstances. 

Police said last week that members patrolling the area of 129 Street and 84 Ave. on Jan. 26 heard a gunshot around 3:50 a.m. and stopped a vehicle where they alleged they found a loaded handgun. 

They arrested 20-year-old Harshdeep Singh and 21-year-old Hanspreet Singh, who now face charges of occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm is present.

Harshdeep Singh has also been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, police said. 

The two men, police said, are foreign nationals and the Surrey Police Service said it had notified the Canada Border Services Agency.  

The Surrey Police Service said the city began seeing "a spike in extortion threats and associated violence" in June 2025, and in addition to active patrols, the service now has a dedicated extortion tip line, with 15 of the service's officers also assigned to the BC Extortion Task Force. 

The City of Surrey has also put up a $250,000 reward fund for people who provide "key information" about extortions in the city, which has Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke urging the federal government to declare a national state of emergency. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rich Lam

MORE National ARTICLES

Court orders B.C. to pass law giving French school board expropriation powers

Court orders B.C. to pass law giving French school board expropriation powers
The B.C. Supreme Court has ordered the provincial government to pass a law within six months providing the Francophone School Board with powers to expropriate private property to build new French-language schools.

Court orders B.C. to pass law giving French school board expropriation powers

Canadian doctors group challenging constitutionality of Alberta transgender law

Canadian doctors group challenging constitutionality of Alberta transgender law
A group representing Canada's doctors is challenging the constitutionality of Alberta's legislation limiting access to medical treatment for transgender youth, arguing it violates their Charter right to freedom of conscience.

Canadian doctors group challenging constitutionality of Alberta transgender law

Human smuggler sentenced to 6 1/2 years in case of frozen family

Human smuggler sentenced to 6 1/2 years in case of frozen family
A judge in Minnesota has sentenced Steve Shand to 6 1/2 years for his role in a human smuggling operation that saw a family freeze to death in southern Manitoba near the Canada-U.S. border.

Human smuggler sentenced to 6 1/2 years in case of frozen family

Edmonton school trustees, advocates want province to allow undocumented kids to enrol

Edmonton school trustees, advocates want province to allow undocumented kids to enrol
Edmonton public school trustees have voted to push Alberta's government to make legislative changes to allow undocumented kids to enrol in school.

Edmonton school trustees, advocates want province to allow undocumented kids to enrol

Canada Post puts forward ‘final offers’ to union as overtime ban continues

Canada Post puts forward ‘final offers’ to union as overtime ban continues
Canada Post on Wednesday laid out its "final offers" to the union representing 55,000 workers after negotiations resumed Wednesday morning, as tensions run high over the future of the beleaguered institution.

Canada Post puts forward ‘final offers’ to union as overtime ban continues

Never going to happen': Ministers push back as Trump revives talk of annexing Canada

Never going to happen': Ministers push back as Trump revives talk of annexing Canada
Canada's sovereignty was front and centre as federal ministers and Liberal MPs fielded questions about U.S. President Donald Trump's latest talk of annexation ahead of the first post-election question period in the House of Commons.

Never going to happen': Ministers push back as Trump revives talk of annexing Canada