Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 02 Feb, 2026 10:48 AM
  • Three men arrested in Surrey, B.C., after alleged extortion-related shooting

Police in Surrey, B.C., arrested three men on Sunday after early morning gunfire at a home, believed to be yet another example of extortion-related shootings that have plagued the city in recent months. 

The Surrey Police Service said officers were on patrol in the city's Crescent Beach neighbourhood just before 4 a.m. when a call came in about a shooting and small fire outside a home near 132 Street and Crescent Road. 

The police service said members from the Lower Mainland police dog service and Delta Police also responded. Officers located a suspect vehicle driving in the area, and the people in it fled on foot. Three suspects were arrested a short time later after getting into a ride-share vehicle, police said. 

Police said the fire was put out by Surrey firefighters. It didn't damage the home, which had people inside who were uninjured, but the home did get hit by gunfire. 

The service said its major crime section is investigating whether the three men are linked to the shooting, but they have not been charged and police did not name the suspects.

"This incident is believed to be related to extortions," police said in a news release.

The Surrey Police Service said the officers involved were part of Project Assurance, which involves proactive patrols of neighbourhoods that have been targeted by an ongoing rash of extortion-related shootings in the city. 

The latest arrests come less than a week after Surrey police arrested two foreign nationals under similar circumstances. 

Police said last week that members patrolling the area of 129 Street and 84 Ave. on Jan. 26 heard a gunshot around 3:50 a.m. and stopped a vehicle where they alleged they found a loaded handgun. 

They arrested 20-year-old Harshdeep Singh and 21-year-old Hanspreet Singh, who now face charges of occupying a vehicle knowing a firearm is present.

Harshdeep Singh has also been charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, police said. 

The two men, police said, are foreign nationals and the Surrey Police Service said it had notified the Canada Border Services Agency.  

The Surrey Police Service said the city began seeing "a spike in extortion threats and associated violence" in June 2025, and in addition to active patrols, the service now has a dedicated extortion tip line, with 15 of the service's officers also assigned to the BC Extortion Task Force. 

The City of Surrey has also put up a $250,000 reward fund for people who provide "key information" about extortions in the city, which has Surrey Mayor Brenda Locke urging the federal government to declare a national state of emergency. 

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Rich Lam

MORE National ARTICLES

A timeline of King Charles's royal visits to Canada, spanning more than 50 years

A timeline of King Charles's royal visits to Canada, spanning more than 50 years
This week's Royal visit marks King Charles's first visit to Canada since his coronation two years ago. But the King is no stranger to the country, having visited all provinces and territories during official visits dating back more than 50 years. Here's a timeline of those visits.

A timeline of King Charles's royal visits to Canada, spanning more than 50 years

Judge rules hockey player's text inadmissible at trial of five former teammates

Judge rules hockey player's text inadmissible at trial of five former teammates
A text message in which a hockey player described seeing his former teammate slap a woman on the buttocks will not be admitted at the sexual assault trial of five ex-world junior players, an Ontario judge ruled Monday, putting an end to prosecutors' efforts to use the message in their case.

Judge rules hockey player's text inadmissible at trial of five former teammates

Carney will not take up Trudeau's question period tradition

Carney will not take up Trudeau's question period tradition
Prime Minister Mark Carney will take part in his first question period on Wednesday — but will not carry on a tradition started by his predecessor.

Carney will not take up Trudeau's question period tradition

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall
Alberta is bringing in new rules this fall to ensure only “age-appropriate” books are available in school libraries.

Alberta changing rules to ensure only 'age-appropriate' books in schools by fall

Interim NDP leader says party will play important role despite loss of status

Interim NDP leader says party will play important role despite loss of status
Interim NDP Leader Don Davies said Monday the party will still play a "profoundly important role" in this Parliament, even though it won't be granted official party status.

Interim NDP leader says party will play important role despite loss of status

Silent tribute and fundraisers mark one month since Vancouver festival attack

Silent tribute and fundraisers mark one month since Vancouver festival attack
Members of Parliament have held a moment of silence on the one-month anniversary of the deadly attack on the Lapu Lapu Day festival in Vancouver, as members of the Filipino community and others continue to grapple with its impact. 

Silent tribute and fundraisers mark one month since Vancouver festival attack